Most Stars in Universe Host Alien Planets: Scientists Find
By Parismita Goswami | March 5, 2014 5:46 PM EST
A majority of stars in our Milky Way galaxy have planets, which may have the capability of supporting life, according to a new study.
Most Stars in the Universe Host Alien Planets
Astronomers have identified eight new exoplanets circling red dwarf stars that makes up to about 75 percent of the Milky Way's 100 billion stars or so.
This new findings indicate that almost all red dwarfs in the Milky Way have planets.
"We are clearly probing a highly abundant population of low-mass planets, and can readily expect to find many more in the near future - even around the very closest stars to the sun," LiveScience quoted Mikko Tuomi, of the University of Hertfordshire, United Kingdom and the lead author of the study.
Tuomi and colleagues used two instruments- the High Accuracy Radial velocity Planet Searcher (HARPS) and the Ultraviolet and Visual Echelle Spectrograph (UVES) and combined their data to spot the exoplanets. Both the instruments are controlled by the European Southern Observatory, Chile.
"We were looking at the data from UVES alone, and noticed some variability that could not be explained by random noise by combining those with data from HARPS, we managed to spot this spectacular haul of planet candidates." Tuomi added.
The eight newly found planets revolve around the stars that are located between 15 and 80 light-years away from the planet Earth, according to researchers. The new findings strengthen the observations by NASA's Kepler space telescope that hunts for alien's world far away from the Earth.
"This result is somewhat expected in the sense that studies of distant red dwarfs with the Kepler mission indicate a significant population of small-radius planets. So it is pleasing to be able to confirm this result with a sample of stars that are among the brightest in their class." said co-author of the study Hugh Jones from University of Hertfordshire.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Latest UFO Sighting Arizona: Couple See A Strange House That Appears Out Of Nowhere And Disappears, MUFON Report
- Astronomical Events October 2014: Blood-Red Total Lunar Eclipse, Solar Eclipse, Two Meteor Showers And Other Occurrences To Watch Out For
- Couple Who Paid Young Girls To Stomp Puppy To Death Gets Life Sentence
- NASA's Curiosity Rover Discovers Water On Martian Soil: Mars Not A Dry Planet
- Malaysian Flight MH370 Latest Update: New Search Images Reveal Unknown Seabed Details In The Indian Ocean [Watch Video]
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report