Most Stars in Universe Host Alien Planets: Scientists Find
By Parismita Goswami | March 5, 2014 5:46 PM EST
A majority of stars in our Milky Way galaxy have planets, which may have the capability of supporting life, according to a new study.
Most Stars in the Universe Host Alien Planets
Astronomers have identified eight new exoplanets circling red dwarf stars that makes up to about 75 percent of the Milky Way's 100 billion stars or so.
This new findings indicate that almost all red dwarfs in the Milky Way have planets.
"We are clearly probing a highly abundant population of low-mass planets, and can readily expect to find many more in the near future - even around the very closest stars to the sun," LiveScience quoted Mikko Tuomi, of the University of Hertfordshire, United Kingdom and the lead author of the study.
Tuomi and colleagues used two instruments- the High Accuracy Radial velocity Planet Searcher (HARPS) and the Ultraviolet and Visual Echelle Spectrograph (UVES) and combined their data to spot the exoplanets. Both the instruments are controlled by the European Southern Observatory, Chile.
"We were looking at the data from UVES alone, and noticed some variability that could not be explained by random noise by combining those with data from HARPS, we managed to spot this spectacular haul of planet candidates." Tuomi added.
The eight newly found planets revolve around the stars that are located between 15 and 80 light-years away from the planet Earth, according to researchers. The new findings strengthen the observations by NASA's Kepler space telescope that hunts for alien's world far away from the Earth.
"This result is somewhat expected in the sense that studies of distant red dwarfs with the Kepler mission indicate a significant population of small-radius planets. So it is pleasing to be able to confirm this result with a sample of stars that are among the brightest in their class." said co-author of the study Hugh Jones from University of Hertfordshire.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Artificial Micro-Humans to Replace Animals in Lab Tests: 90 Million Animal Lives Would be Saved
- Images Of Solar Flare Captured By NASA [Watch Video]
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers