Google Nexus 8 July Launch: Around 2 Million Units to be Shipped on Release Running Android 4.5?
By Ryan Inoyori | March 5, 2014 5:27 PM EST
Google Nexus 8 is rumoured to replace the Nexus 7 slate in order to make room for a slightly larger tablet expected to be released by July 2014. Interestingly, rumours also see that the new Nexus tab will run the upcoming new Android 4.5 version before Nexus 6 smartphone.
Nexus 8 Takes Out Nexus 7
Tablets with 8-inch display are now growing in the market, and it seems like Google would want the Nexus 8 to replace Nexus 7's slot among Nexus devices for 2014. According to the source of Android Geeks, Google will stop developing future Nexus 7 slates due to heavy competition in the market.
Instead, the company will position the Nexus 8 to get a bigger market share in a relatively small, but growing trend, for tablet computers. So far, there are only a handful of 8-inch Android tablet models from popular brands including Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and LG G Pad 8.3.
The site's source, a Google Dublin employee, didn't reveal anything else regarding the Nexus 8 slate such as "which company will manufacture, major specifications and unique features." But the device is expected to run the upcoming new Android version rumoured as Android 4.5.
Moreover, Taiwanese sources also suggest around 2 million units of Google Nexus 8 will be shipped by the end of April before the official launching suspected around July 2014. The sources also hint at the possibility of ASUS making the Nexus 8 as it did Nexus 7 2012 and 2013 models.
Android 4.5 Features
The online community has given no leaks yet regarding the change logs of Android 4.5, and it looks like Google prefers to keep everything quiet till it is ready to unveil the upcoming OS version. Last year, when Android 4.4 KitKat was officially announced, Google hid the information of its deal with Nestle, whereas the public expected the upcoming OS to be called Key Lime Pie.
Due to the popularity of KitKat chocolate bars compared to Key Lime Pie dessert, Google decided to replace the Android's name with a Nestle product and then erected the official Android KitKat status at its headquarters. Afterwards, Google demonstrated the Nexus 5 smartphone.
Google I/O session details may reveal the changes or improvements it may bring among Android devices, which could include the following:
1. Bluetooth upgrades
2. Better gaming experience via Play Store
3. Daydream feature gets more updates
4. More support and improvements in graphics
5. Enhancements in Android Cloud services
6. Accessibility upgrades
7. Portable TV app
8. Better scripting on Android OS
9. Networking support enhancements
10. Upgrades of audio performance and battery life.
The Google I/O 2014 event is set to happen from June 25 to 26. The event will demonstrate and discuss the developer world of Android OS.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories