Google Nexus 8 July Launch: Around 2 Million Units to be Shipped on Release Running Android 4.5?
By Ryan Inoyori | March 5, 2014 5:27 PM EST
Google Nexus 8 is rumoured to replace the Nexus 7 slate in order to make room for a slightly larger tablet expected to be released by July 2014. Interestingly, rumours also see that the new Nexus tab will run the upcoming new Android 4.5 version before Nexus 6 smartphone.
Nexus 8 Takes Out Nexus 7
Tablets with 8-inch display are now growing in the market, and it seems like Google would want the Nexus 8 to replace Nexus 7's slot among Nexus devices for 2014. According to the source of Android Geeks, Google will stop developing future Nexus 7 slates due to heavy competition in the market.
Instead, the company will position the Nexus 8 to get a bigger market share in a relatively small, but growing trend, for tablet computers. So far, there are only a handful of 8-inch Android tablet models from popular brands including Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and LG G Pad 8.3.
The site's source, a Google Dublin employee, didn't reveal anything else regarding the Nexus 8 slate such as "which company will manufacture, major specifications and unique features." But the device is expected to run the upcoming new Android version rumoured as Android 4.5.
Moreover, Taiwanese sources also suggest around 2 million units of Google Nexus 8 will be shipped by the end of April before the official launching suspected around July 2014. The sources also hint at the possibility of ASUS making the Nexus 8 as it did Nexus 7 2012 and 2013 models.
Android 4.5 Features
The online community has given no leaks yet regarding the change logs of Android 4.5, and it looks like Google prefers to keep everything quiet till it is ready to unveil the upcoming OS version. Last year, when Android 4.4 KitKat was officially announced, Google hid the information of its deal with Nestle, whereas the public expected the upcoming OS to be called Key Lime Pie.
Due to the popularity of KitKat chocolate bars compared to Key Lime Pie dessert, Google decided to replace the Android's name with a Nestle product and then erected the official Android KitKat status at its headquarters. Afterwards, Google demonstrated the Nexus 5 smartphone.
Google I/O session details may reveal the changes or improvements it may bring among Android devices, which could include the following:
1. Bluetooth upgrades
2. Better gaming experience via Play Store
3. Daydream feature gets more updates
4. More support and improvements in graphics
5. Enhancements in Android Cloud services
6. Accessibility upgrades
7. Portable TV app
8. Better scripting on Android OS
9. Networking support enhancements
10. Upgrades of audio performance and battery life.
The Google I/O 2014 event is set to happen from June 25 to 26. The event will demonstrate and discuss the developer world of Android OS.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Updates; PokeNav And Pokemon Halloween Detailed
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage