Google Nexus 8 July Launch: Around 2 Million Units to be Shipped on Release Running Android 4.5?
By Ryan Inoyori | March 5, 2014 5:27 PM EST
Google Nexus 8 is rumoured to replace the Nexus 7 slate in order to make room for a slightly larger tablet expected to be released by July 2014. Interestingly, rumours also see that the new Nexus tab will run the upcoming new Android 4.5 version before Nexus 6 smartphone.
Nexus 8 Takes Out Nexus 7
Tablets with 8-inch display are now growing in the market, and it seems like Google would want the Nexus 8 to replace Nexus 7's slot among Nexus devices for 2014. According to the source of Android Geeks, Google will stop developing future Nexus 7 slates due to heavy competition in the market.
Instead, the company will position the Nexus 8 to get a bigger market share in a relatively small, but growing trend, for tablet computers. So far, there are only a handful of 8-inch Android tablet models from popular brands including Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and LG G Pad 8.3.
The site's source, a Google Dublin employee, didn't reveal anything else regarding the Nexus 8 slate such as "which company will manufacture, major specifications and unique features." But the device is expected to run the upcoming new Android version rumoured as Android 4.5.
Moreover, Taiwanese sources also suggest around 2 million units of Google Nexus 8 will be shipped by the end of April before the official launching suspected around July 2014. The sources also hint at the possibility of ASUS making the Nexus 8 as it did Nexus 7 2012 and 2013 models.
Android 4.5 Features
The online community has given no leaks yet regarding the change logs of Android 4.5, and it looks like Google prefers to keep everything quiet till it is ready to unveil the upcoming OS version. Last year, when Android 4.4 KitKat was officially announced, Google hid the information of its deal with Nestle, whereas the public expected the upcoming OS to be called Key Lime Pie.
Due to the popularity of KitKat chocolate bars compared to Key Lime Pie dessert, Google decided to replace the Android's name with a Nestle product and then erected the official Android KitKat status at its headquarters. Afterwards, Google demonstrated the Nexus 5 smartphone.
Google I/O session details may reveal the changes or improvements it may bring among Android devices, which could include the following:
1. Bluetooth upgrades
2. Better gaming experience via Play Store
3. Daydream feature gets more updates
4. More support and improvements in graphics
5. Enhancements in Android Cloud services
6. Accessibility upgrades
7. Portable TV app
8. Better scripting on Android OS
9. Networking support enhancements
10. Upgrades of audio performance and battery life.
The Google I/O 2014 event is set to happen from June 25 to 26. The event will demonstrate and discuss the developer world of Android OS.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Games: The Last of Us Remastered Photo Mode Leaked Shots; Halo: Master Chief Collection Detailed
- Dragon Age 3 Inquisition Romance: Cassandra Pentaghast, Dorian, Cullen, Sera, Iron Bull and Josephine Montilyet
- The SIMS 4 Official System Requirements Reveal Low Spec Demands; Release Date on September 2
- Before Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire: TwitchPlaysPokemon Goes X and Y, More Events and More Gym Leader Info
- Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes Release Date, Features Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy Play Set
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On