Google Nexus 8 July Launch: Around 2 Million Units to be Shipped on Release Running Android 4.5?
By Ryan Inoyori | March 5, 2014 5:27 PM EST
Google Nexus 8 is rumoured to replace the Nexus 7 slate in order to make room for a slightly larger tablet expected to be released by July 2014. Interestingly, rumours also see that the new Nexus tab will run the upcoming new Android 4.5 version before Nexus 6 smartphone.
Nexus 8 Takes Out Nexus 7
Tablets with 8-inch display are now growing in the market, and it seems like Google would want the Nexus 8 to replace Nexus 7's slot among Nexus devices for 2014. According to the source of Android Geeks, Google will stop developing future Nexus 7 slates due to heavy competition in the market.
Instead, the company will position the Nexus 8 to get a bigger market share in a relatively small, but growing trend, for tablet computers. So far, there are only a handful of 8-inch Android tablet models from popular brands including Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and LG G Pad 8.3.
The site's source, a Google Dublin employee, didn't reveal anything else regarding the Nexus 8 slate such as "which company will manufacture, major specifications and unique features." But the device is expected to run the upcoming new Android version rumoured as Android 4.5.
Moreover, Taiwanese sources also suggest around 2 million units of Google Nexus 8 will be shipped by the end of April before the official launching suspected around July 2014. The sources also hint at the possibility of ASUS making the Nexus 8 as it did Nexus 7 2012 and 2013 models.
Android 4.5 Features
The online community has given no leaks yet regarding the change logs of Android 4.5, and it looks like Google prefers to keep everything quiet till it is ready to unveil the upcoming OS version. Last year, when Android 4.4 KitKat was officially announced, Google hid the information of its deal with Nestle, whereas the public expected the upcoming OS to be called Key Lime Pie.
Due to the popularity of KitKat chocolate bars compared to Key Lime Pie dessert, Google decided to replace the Android's name with a Nestle product and then erected the official Android KitKat status at its headquarters. Afterwards, Google demonstrated the Nexus 5 smartphone.
Google I/O session details may reveal the changes or improvements it may bring among Android devices, which could include the following:
1. Bluetooth upgrades
2. Better gaming experience via Play Store
3. Daydream feature gets more updates
4. More support and improvements in graphics
5. Enhancements in Android Cloud services
6. Accessibility upgrades
7. Portable TV app
8. Better scripting on Android OS
9. Networking support enhancements
10. Upgrades of audio performance and battery life.
The Google I/O 2014 event is set to happen from June 25 to 26. The event will demonstrate and discuss the developer world of Android OS.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xbox’s September Games with Gold Features Halo Reach As Halo 5: Guardians And Master Chief Collection Get Details
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates From Devs Plus More On Minecraft On The Xbox Platform
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ Delayed To November As ‘Rogue’ Gets More Story Details
- 'World Of Warcraft’ Brings Back The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff From Sept. 2-16, 2014 After ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Patch 6.0.1 Beta Notes Update [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition': Romancing Solas, Morrigan's Human Side And Dragon Age Keep User Interface
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display