Kannada Film Industry Completes 80 Years
By Sahaja K R | March 5, 2014 5:11 PM EST
The Kannada film industry, commonly known as Sandalwood has completed 80 years on Monday, 3 March 2014. To celebrate these glorious years of history, the Karnataka Chalanachithra Academy (KCA) organised a three-day exhibition, which showcased rare movie stills from Kannada films.
Vishnuvardhan was a legendary Kannada actor whose photo is there on the special postal cover for the 80 years anniversary of Kannada cinema.
Cinema in the Kannada language began with the movie titled as "Sathi Sulochana". This first Kannada talkie was released on 3 March 1934 and since then the industry has grown by leaps and bounds. Like other industries, Sandalwood too has gone been through different ages in our history.
There have been tons of movies produced every year and each in their own way try to bring out the culture of the state. On this anniversary, the Postal department launched a special cover to mark this special day in the Kannada history, reported The Times of India.
A prominent image of Subbaiah Naidu from "Sathi Sulochana" is featured on the postal cover, which is titled 80 Kannada Vakchitra, 1934-2014. Apart from this, the cover also features pictures of famous Kannada actors Vishnuvardhan and Rajkumar and director Puttanna Kanagal.
This special postal cover was designed by S Dhanraj, and also included copies of stills from eight Kannada films, which have won national awards till now. Even though the special postal cover is something that many maybe proud of, there were a few stars who were not satisfied. We hear that actors Srinagara Kitty and Shivaram and also the Karnataka Chamber of Commerce President HD Gangaraju were not happy to see many faces missing in the cover. They felt that there are more Kannada artistes and legends who deserved to be there in the stamp.
Gangaraju had reportedly requested Veena Srinivas, postmaster general to release stamps featuring the other legends of Sandalwood. However Srinivas clarified that living legends are not included on the stamps. "Anyone can send a proposal to us to bring out such stamps but the decision is taken by the central government and the philatelic committee in Delhi. However, there is no limit on special covers and definitive stamps. We don't bring out stamps on living legends. But this rule was waived in the case of cricketer Sachin Tendulkar," TOI quoted her.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Katey Sagal On Gemma Teller’s Fate in ‘Red Rose’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers – ‘Coda’: Midseason Finale Is ‘Heartbreaking’ And ‘Gut-Wrenching’
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones