Kannada Film Industry Completes 80 Years
By Sahaja K R | March 5, 2014 5:11 PM EST
The Kannada film industry, commonly known as Sandalwood has completed 80 years on Monday, 3 March 2014. To celebrate these glorious years of history, the Karnataka Chalanachithra Academy (KCA) organised a three-day exhibition, which showcased rare movie stills from Kannada films.
Vishnuvardhan was a legendary Kannada actor whose photo is there on the special postal cover for the 80 years anniversary of Kannada cinema.
Cinema in the Kannada language began with the movie titled as "Sathi Sulochana". This first Kannada talkie was released on 3 March 1934 and since then the industry has grown by leaps and bounds. Like other industries, Sandalwood too has gone been through different ages in our history.
There have been tons of movies produced every year and each in their own way try to bring out the culture of the state. On this anniversary, the Postal department launched a special cover to mark this special day in the Kannada history, reported The Times of India.
A prominent image of Subbaiah Naidu from "Sathi Sulochana" is featured on the postal cover, which is titled 80 Kannada Vakchitra, 1934-2014. Apart from this, the cover also features pictures of famous Kannada actors Vishnuvardhan and Rajkumar and director Puttanna Kanagal.
This special postal cover was designed by S Dhanraj, and also included copies of stills from eight Kannada films, which have won national awards till now. Even though the special postal cover is something that many maybe proud of, there were a few stars who were not satisfied. We hear that actors Srinagara Kitty and Shivaram and also the Karnataka Chamber of Commerce President HD Gangaraju were not happy to see many faces missing in the cover. They felt that there are more Kannada artistes and legends who deserved to be there in the stamp.
Gangaraju had reportedly requested Veena Srinivas, postmaster general to release stamps featuring the other legends of Sandalwood. However Srinivas clarified that living legends are not included on the stamps. "Anyone can send a proposal to us to bring out such stamps but the decision is taken by the central government and the philatelic committee in Delhi. However, there is no limit on special covers and definitive stamps. We don't bring out stamps on living legends. But this rule was waived in the case of cricketer Sachin Tendulkar," TOI quoted her.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date