Kannada Film Industry Completes 80 Years
By Sahaja K R | March 5, 2014 5:11 PM EST
The Kannada film industry, commonly known as Sandalwood has completed 80 years on Monday, 3 March 2014. To celebrate these glorious years of history, the Karnataka Chalanachithra Academy (KCA) organised a three-day exhibition, which showcased rare movie stills from Kannada films.
Vishnuvardhan was a legendary Kannada actor whose photo is there on the special postal cover for the 80 years anniversary of Kannada cinema.
Cinema in the Kannada language began with the movie titled as "Sathi Sulochana". This first Kannada talkie was released on 3 March 1934 and since then the industry has grown by leaps and bounds. Like other industries, Sandalwood too has gone been through different ages in our history.
There have been tons of movies produced every year and each in their own way try to bring out the culture of the state. On this anniversary, the Postal department launched a special cover to mark this special day in the Kannada history, reported The Times of India.
A prominent image of Subbaiah Naidu from "Sathi Sulochana" is featured on the postal cover, which is titled 80 Kannada Vakchitra, 1934-2014. Apart from this, the cover also features pictures of famous Kannada actors Vishnuvardhan and Rajkumar and director Puttanna Kanagal.
This special postal cover was designed by S Dhanraj, and also included copies of stills from eight Kannada films, which have won national awards till now. Even though the special postal cover is something that many maybe proud of, there were a few stars who were not satisfied. We hear that actors Srinagara Kitty and Shivaram and also the Karnataka Chamber of Commerce President HD Gangaraju were not happy to see many faces missing in the cover. They felt that there are more Kannada artistes and legends who deserved to be there in the stamp.
Gangaraju had reportedly requested Veena Srinivas, postmaster general to release stamps featuring the other legends of Sandalwood. However Srinivas clarified that living legends are not included on the stamps. "Anyone can send a proposal to us to bring out such stamps but the decision is taken by the central government and the philatelic committee in Delhi. However, there is no limit on special covers and definitive stamps. We don't bring out stamps on living legends. But this rule was waived in the case of cricketer Sachin Tendulkar," TOI quoted her.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales