Sydney 3rd 'Most Expensive City' In the World
By Athena Yenko | March 5, 2014 5:10 PM EST
Sydney is third most expensive city in the world, according to The Economist's survey titled, "Worldwide Cost of Living 2013."
Melbourne is ranked fifth while Brisbane is at 21st and Adelaide at 37th.
According to the survey, there was no Australian city among the 50 most expensive cities 10 years ago. Australian cities started climbing up the list in 2010.
But even with the Australian cities being ranked as world's most expensive, these cities offer better value-for-money to foreign visitors because of the decline of the Australian dollar.
Consequently, the inflation and currency appreciation in New Zealand make Auckland's and Wellington's cost of living more expensive than the ranked Australian cities.
Auckland ranked at 17th while Wellington ranked at 19th.
"The long-term rise of the Australian dollar, which has doubled in value in the last decade, has fallen back lately, with a corresponding decline in relative prices. But cities like Melbourne and Sydney now appear to have cemented their position among the most expensive across Europe and Asia," Jon Copestake, The Economist Intelligence Unit's Chief Retail and Consumer Goods analyst and editor of the Worldwide Cost of Living and Liveability surveys, said.
The Economist Intelligence Unit's (EIU) WorldWide Cost Living Survey compares 131 cities with New York as its basis.
Singapore is the world's most expensive city, followed by Paris, Oslo and Zurich.
Asian and Australian cities have four of the 10 most expensive cities and four of the cheapest.
Europe has five of the 10 most expensive cities.
Meanwhile, Mumbai is the cheapest city to live alongside New Delhi, Karachi and Kathmandu.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- West Africa Ebola Epidemic To Last 12-18 Months More
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- Air France Pilots’ Strike: Only 40% of Scheduled Wednesday Flights Will Operate
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet