Sydney 3rd 'Most Expensive City' In the World
By Athena Yenko | March 5, 2014 5:10 PM EST
Sydney is third most expensive city in the world, according to The Economist's survey titled, "Worldwide Cost of Living 2013."
Melbourne is ranked fifth while Brisbane is at 21st and Adelaide at 37th.
According to the survey, there was no Australian city among the 50 most expensive cities 10 years ago. Australian cities started climbing up the list in 2010.
But even with the Australian cities being ranked as world's most expensive, these cities offer better value-for-money to foreign visitors because of the decline of the Australian dollar.
Consequently, the inflation and currency appreciation in New Zealand make Auckland's and Wellington's cost of living more expensive than the ranked Australian cities.
Auckland ranked at 17th while Wellington ranked at 19th.
"The long-term rise of the Australian dollar, which has doubled in value in the last decade, has fallen back lately, with a corresponding decline in relative prices. But cities like Melbourne and Sydney now appear to have cemented their position among the most expensive across Europe and Asia," Jon Copestake, The Economist Intelligence Unit's Chief Retail and Consumer Goods analyst and editor of the Worldwide Cost of Living and Liveability surveys, said.
The Economist Intelligence Unit's (EIU) WorldWide Cost Living Survey compares 131 cities with New York as its basis.
Singapore is the world's most expensive city, followed by Paris, Oslo and Zurich.
Asian and Australian cities have four of the 10 most expensive cities and four of the cheapest.
Europe has five of the 10 most expensive cities.
Meanwhile, Mumbai is the cheapest city to live alongside New Delhi, Karachi and Kathmandu.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Muslim Leaders Refuse to Approve Tony Abbott’s Terrorism Law
- Russia Demands Ukraine Release Communications With Doomed Malaysia Airlines MH17, Preliminary Report On Investigations Out This Month
- Ebola Update: Liberian Forces Receive Shoot Orders Against People Trying to Cross from Sierra Leone Border
- Historic First Time: Catholic Pontiff Pope Francis Supports Military Intervention Against ISIS In Iraq
- Chinese Airlines Receives Lawsuit for Rejecting HIV-Positive Passengers
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6