Sydney 3rd 'Most Expensive City' In the World
By Athena Yenko | March 5, 2014 5:10 PM EST
Sydney is third most expensive city in the world, according to The Economist's survey titled, "Worldwide Cost of Living 2013."
Melbourne is ranked fifth while Brisbane is at 21st and Adelaide at 37th.
According to the survey, there was no Australian city among the 50 most expensive cities 10 years ago. Australian cities started climbing up the list in 2010.
But even with the Australian cities being ranked as world's most expensive, these cities offer better value-for-money to foreign visitors because of the decline of the Australian dollar.
Consequently, the inflation and currency appreciation in New Zealand make Auckland's and Wellington's cost of living more expensive than the ranked Australian cities.
Auckland ranked at 17th while Wellington ranked at 19th.
"The long-term rise of the Australian dollar, which has doubled in value in the last decade, has fallen back lately, with a corresponding decline in relative prices. But cities like Melbourne and Sydney now appear to have cemented their position among the most expensive across Europe and Asia," Jon Copestake, The Economist Intelligence Unit's Chief Retail and Consumer Goods analyst and editor of the Worldwide Cost of Living and Liveability surveys, said.
The Economist Intelligence Unit's (EIU) WorldWide Cost Living Survey compares 131 cities with New York as its basis.
Singapore is the world's most expensive city, followed by Paris, Oslo and Zurich.
Asian and Australian cities have four of the 10 most expensive cities and four of the cheapest.
Europe has five of the 10 most expensive cities.
Meanwhile, Mumbai is the cheapest city to live alongside New Delhi, Karachi and Kathmandu.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports