Canadian Female Pilot Reacts To ‘Sexist’ Note From Passenger
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 5, 2014 4:39 PM EST
A veteran Canadian female pilot has received a note from one of the passengers flying in WestJet. The note read the passenger would have booked another flight if he knew that the pilot of the flight was a woman.
Carey Steacy, with 17 years on-board experience, was shocked to get a note from a certain "David," one of the passengers whom she assisted to reach his destination. Steacy flew the plane safely from Calgary to Victoria. Canada.com called the man a "sexist jerk" who left proof of his "sour attitude." The note explained in detail why Steacy, or any woman for that matter, should not be a pilot.
The note addressed to the captain of the WestJet flight read that the cockpit was no place for a woman (with an underlined "no").
David also informed that a woman being a mother would be the most honored, not as a captain. He further wrote that he wished that he knew that it would be a woman at the helm of the plane he was flying in. He would have booked another flight, he wrote. He continued "In the end, this is all mere vanity...". David concluded the note saying that he was "not impressed. The ending part read: Respectfully in love, David" even though one may argue that respect must be the one thing that was missing from the entire note.
Steacy reacted on the note in Facebook. She has informed that it was no longer called a cockpit as "no cocks are required." It is presently called the "flight deck." She "respectfully" disagreed with David on his opinion about female pilots.
"In fact, there are no places that are not for ladies anymore," she wrote. She wrote that David's note was the funniest she had ever come across. Steacy, however, agreed that the highest honor for a woman would be being a mother.
When Metro News got in touch with WestJet to get its reaction regarding the incident, it said the staff were "disappointed." The image of the note has gone viral. See the original note HERE.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports