Scientists Build Radiation Scanner Exclusive for Babies of Fukushima, Could It Help Save Their Future At All?
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 5, 2014 4:15 PM EST
Could babies of Fukushima now stand a chance of longer, healthier lives after scientists have developed and built a radiation scanner meant for their exclusive use?
A team of researchers from the University of Tokyo along with an American radiation-scanner company have developed a baby scanner that can fit in, well, babies.
Scientists said the first whole body scanner is capable of measuring the internal radiation exposure in children. It has a sensitivity of 50 becquerels per body. Researchers said the first unit has been installed at Hirata Central Hospital in Fukushima in 2013 to help families with small children who are very much concerned about internal exposures.
"To realize this high sensitivity, the BABYSCAN must be ergonomically designed so that a small child can stay still for several minutes, without feeling afraid of confinement," they said.
They designed the machine to handle the children as they are lying down, perhaps playing or reading.
Based on the results of the first 100 Fukushima children that were scanned, aged 4.2 years old on the average, none contained radiocesium in their bodies.
"We are happy to report that radiocesium was not detected in any of the 100 subjects," scientists said.
Ever since the catastrophic meltdown in March 2011, Japanese authorities have been monitoring people's internal radiation exposure using whole body scanners. However, such machines are designed to measure the radiation emitted by an adult body.
Scientists urged parents to practice continued vigilance since the Fukushima damaged reactors continue to leak contaminated water not only into the sea but most probably into the water table.
The extent and consequences of these remain unknown.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]