Romanian Soccer Legend Popescu Jailed for Corruption
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 5, 2014 3:46 PM EST
Soccer fans of Romania saw a fateful day as the soccer legend Gheorghe Popescu has been jailed for a term of three years, one month and 10 days because of his involvement in money laundering and tax evasion.
Popescu and his fellow players were charged for not declaring the entire amount of transfer of 12 players to foreign clubs from 1999 through 2005.
The former Romanian captain and once a defender of Tottenham and Barcelona, Gheorghe 'Gica' Popescu, was sentenced to jail for by a court of Bucharest.
Prosecutors further clarified the clubs lost 10 million euro because the officials registered false registration for transfers, and moreover, the country suffered loss of 1.7 million euro in taxes. The anti-corruption prosecutors further mentioned that the undeclared parts of the fees were transferred into personal bank accounts in The Netherlands and Virgin Islands.
Popescu, who is one of the most celebrated players in Romania, has earned 115 caps playing for his country and had played in World Cup thrice. He was, in fact, in consideration to be the next president of Romania FA. It was under his captaincy that Romania reached the quarter finals of the 1994 World Cup.
The other seven accused and scheduled to be sentenced are Victor Becali, Ioan Becali, Mihai Stoica, Jean Padureanu, Gheorghe Netoiu, Cristi Borcea and George Copos.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million