Confirmed: Apple Inc. CarPlay Runs on BlackBerry’s OS
By Athena Yenko | March 5, 2014 3:27 PM EST
QNX platform is the same operating system powering the BlackBerry Q10.
With the CarPlay integration, users can safely drive while still accessing contacts, making calls or listening to voicemails. Siri can read messages to the driver or listen to dictated responses; Maps which will appear on car's built-in display can anticipate the drivers destinations based on recent locations obtained through contacts, emails or texts; drivers can also be provided with routing instructions, traffic conditions and ETA - all these when an iPhone is connected to vehicle.
With these CarPlay features announced by Apple Inc on Mar 3, Lucas Atkins of N4BB deduced that the CarPlay's system is seemingly similar on how QNX CAR 2's infotainment system works. Apple Inc. is also listed as QNX strategic partner in automotive.
With the presumption that Apple Inc.'s CarPlay system "may actually run on top of QNX", N4BB reached out to Paul Leroux at QNX.
"Connectivity to smartphones and other mobile devices is a key strength of QNX Software Systems' platform for car infotainment systems, and many automakers and tier one automotive suppliers use our platform to implement smartphone/head-unit integration in their vehicles. We have a long-standing partnership with Apple to ensure high-quality connectivity with their devices, and this partnership extends to support for Apple CarPlay," Leroux told Atkins.
Apple's CarPlay is anticipated as one of the catalyst that can serve as growth opportunity for Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) stock. It seemed like that CarPlay failed as catalyst and investors will remain apprehensive until Apple Inc. comes up with a more innovative product rather than one running on an OS the same as the 'neglected' BlackBerry.
On one hand, investors can still be optimistic as CarPlay will be available on selected cars across markets in the United States, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Spain, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.
Also, Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo will premiere CarPlay to their drivers this week, at Geneva Motor Show happening from March 6 to 16.
Other big names in the car industry will also be bringing CarPlay to their drivers - BMW Group, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai Motor Company, Jaguar Land Rover, Kia Motors, Mitsubishi Motors, Nissan Motor Company, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota Motor Corp.
As for March 4, Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) real time stock quote published by NASDAQ OMX, Aplle stock price is at $530.91, up by 0.59 per cent; previous closing is at $527.76; today's high at $533, today's low at $527; 52 weeks high at $575.1358, low at 52 weeks low at $385.10.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29