Oscars 2014: Samsung Pays Ellen DeGeneres Huge Amount for the Ultimate Selfie - Host Switches to iPhone Backstage?
By charmaine corne clutton | March 5, 2014 3:08 PM EST
The recently concluded 86th Academy Awards at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles proved to be a sparkling fanfare for actors and actresses in Hollywood. The actors enjoyed the awards night as funny woman Ellen DeGeneres graced the awards nights with her funny antics and jokes. The comedienne is certainly not a newcomer in Oscars-in 2007, Ellen hosted the prestigious awards night. Now on her second stint for the Oscars' hosting, Ellen brought down the house with her funny quips and gimmicks. One of Ellen's gimmicks included the time when she apparently ordered pizza, which was eaten by none other than big names such as Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Lupita Nyong'o etc.
Ellen Degeneres takes the stage to host the show at the start of the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California March 2, 2014. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson
However, the most phenomenal thing Ellen did during the awards night is to take, what has been called, the ultimate selfie with the front row celebrities. "So this is true. We crashed Twitter. We just got an email, and we crashed and broke Twitter ... See, Meryl, what we did, you and I?" Ellen said during her hosting stint as her 'selfie' was retweeted almost a million times. According to Slate.com, the host was paid by the Korean company Samsung to serve as an extension of its Samsung Galaxy 5 commercial. The tweet apparently broke Twitter retweets record, beating President Obama's post, "For more years." One can see that Ellen's ultimate selfie had the tags "Twitter for Android."
Despite the huge sum Samsung paid to Ellen, the host just could not stop from using her own reliable iPhone. Twelve minutes before uploading the ultimate selfie pic, the host sent out another tweet, this time using her iPhone. The tweet said,"So handsome. He's on my live show tomorrow. I love @JaredLeto." Another tweet confirming that host did indeed switch her phones read: "Look who I just found backstage." which was sent via "Twitter for iPhone."
In sum, Samsung had to shell a fortune to sponsor the Oscars but still came out as a brand that celebrities only used when forced to. While Samsung is preparing for its release of the Galaxy 5, iPhone still practically dominates in Hollywood-at least when seen in Ellen Degeneres' perspective.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS