NBA News: Phil Jackson’s Comeback Could Be on the Horizon
By James Patrick Quizon | March 5, 2014 2:51 PM EST
Phil Jackson back in the National Basketball Association (NBA)? A couple of teams have shown interest in the Zen Master’s services, although to what capacity and which franchise are still up in the air.
In a long interview with Sam Amick of USA Today, Jackson opened up about a lot of things including the potential comeback.
“There are a few (opportunities), but I shouldn't name them. It wouldn't be right to talk about it, name anything. But yeah, there are some,” admitted Jackson.
Jackson confirmed that there were discussions with the Detroit Pistons brass before the season started and that there are conversations with other camps on-going.
“There are winners and losers in the NBA, and a lot of people are trying to reclaim their position or change their culture or whatever. So yeah, there is. I've had conversations. Some of them are feelers. "Are you interested?" type of thing,” added the 68-year-old mentor who led the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers to multiple championships.
“I did go out to Detroit last year and sit with (Pistons President) Joe (Dumars). I guess we weren't successful, but I really encouraged (Pistons owner) Tom Gores that the general manager has to be able to pick his coach so they can win it together. And Joe wanted Maurice, so it didn't work out, unfortunately for Maurice. I developed a relationship with the owner, who lives in LA. We have conversations.”
If and when, Jackson will return, it will not be as a head coach however, probably because of various surgeries he had the last few years.
"I don't want to be on the sidelines," declared Jackson, who has had issues with his hips and knees. "That's for damned sure."
Jackson is a two-time NBA champion as a player (1970 and 1973) but has been more successful as a head coach. He had six titles with the Michael Jordan-led Bulls from 1991 to 1993 and 1996-1998 and the Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant era in Los Angeles from 2000-2002 and 2009-2010.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop