Royal Trio Visit to New Zealand Cost Taxpayers Whopping $1M Per Day
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 5, 2014 2:27 PM EST
The royal visit to New Zealand by the trio family of Prince William, Kate and baby Prince George will cost taxpayers a whopping $1 million per day, no less than Prime Minister John Key announced. He was quick to defend however the "tremendous international coverage" the Kiwi country will get in exchange.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, along with eight-month-old son Prince George, are set to spend nine days in New Zealand in April.
"In the end, these royal visits aren't cheap, whether it's Prince Charles and Camilla or in previous times when the Queen has come to New Zealand," Mr Key said on Firstline on Tuesday.
"But on the other side of the coin, if you look at what will happen over the course of that 10 days, New Zealand will get tremendous international coverage."
He said he's excited over the photos and images that will be beamed around the world by the media pack who follows William and Kate, and baby George. "You go and think about what it costs if you want to host one of those shows like Bachelorette or whatever it might be in a country like New Zealand, the Great Race [sic], you pay enormous amounts of money."
"In essence William, Kate and baby George will be promoting New Zealand."
The Cambridge's are expected to arrive on April 7 in Wellington, where they will be greeted at Government House, before spending ten days in the country. Eight of those days are packed with engagements.
Prince William and wife Catherine will visit the air force base at Whenuapai as well as four South Island and four North Island centres.
The royal Cambridge duo will mostly make day trips to various parts of the country, then return to be with Prince George in the evening, Mr Key said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Russia Invades Ukraine, Pro-Russian Rebels Create 'Second Front,' Obama Maintains No Military Action from US
- TEPCO Loses in Fukushima Suicide Case, Ordered to Pay $472,000 to Family
- Better Market Your Uranium Someplace Else, Japan Appetite No Longer Huge as Before – Former PM Tells Australia Queensland Premier Campbell Newman
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million