Royal Trio Visit to New Zealand Cost Taxpayers Whopping $1M Per Day
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 5, 2014 2:27 PM EST
The royal visit to New Zealand by the trio family of Prince William, Kate and baby Prince George will cost taxpayers a whopping $1 million per day, no less than Prime Minister John Key announced. He was quick to defend however the "tremendous international coverage" the Kiwi country will get in exchange.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, along with eight-month-old son Prince George, are set to spend nine days in New Zealand in April.
"In the end, these royal visits aren't cheap, whether it's Prince Charles and Camilla or in previous times when the Queen has come to New Zealand," Mr Key said on Firstline on Tuesday.
"But on the other side of the coin, if you look at what will happen over the course of that 10 days, New Zealand will get tremendous international coverage."
He said he's excited over the photos and images that will be beamed around the world by the media pack who follows William and Kate, and baby George. "You go and think about what it costs if you want to host one of those shows like Bachelorette or whatever it might be in a country like New Zealand, the Great Race [sic], you pay enormous amounts of money."
"In essence William, Kate and baby George will be promoting New Zealand."
The Cambridge's are expected to arrive on April 7 in Wellington, where they will be greeted at Government House, before spending ten days in the country. Eight of those days are packed with engagements.
Prince William and wife Catherine will visit the air force base at Whenuapai as well as four South Island and four North Island centres.
The royal Cambridge duo will mostly make day trips to various parts of the country, then return to be with Prince George in the evening, Mr Key said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- 5 Uncanny Jobs That Actually Pay Very Well
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal