Royal Trio Visit to New Zealand Cost Taxpayers Whopping $1M Per Day
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 5, 2014 2:27 PM EST
The royal visit to New Zealand by the trio family of Prince William, Kate and baby Prince George will cost taxpayers a whopping $1 million per day, no less than Prime Minister John Key announced. He was quick to defend however the "tremendous international coverage" the Kiwi country will get in exchange.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, along with eight-month-old son Prince George, are set to spend nine days in New Zealand in April.
"In the end, these royal visits aren't cheap, whether it's Prince Charles and Camilla or in previous times when the Queen has come to New Zealand," Mr Key said on Firstline on Tuesday.
"But on the other side of the coin, if you look at what will happen over the course of that 10 days, New Zealand will get tremendous international coverage."
He said he's excited over the photos and images that will be beamed around the world by the media pack who follows William and Kate, and baby George. "You go and think about what it costs if you want to host one of those shows like Bachelorette or whatever it might be in a country like New Zealand, the Great Race [sic], you pay enormous amounts of money."
"In essence William, Kate and baby George will be promoting New Zealand."
The Cambridge's are expected to arrive on April 7 in Wellington, where they will be greeted at Government House, before spending ten days in the country. Eight of those days are packed with engagements.
Prince William and wife Catherine will visit the air force base at Whenuapai as well as four South Island and four North Island centres.
The royal Cambridge duo will mostly make day trips to various parts of the country, then return to be with Prince George in the evening, Mr Key said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- U.S. Flights to Israel Now Lifted, Flights To and From Tel Aviv Resume – FAA
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand Raises Interest Rates Due to 'Unsustainable' Kiwi
- Embattled Malaysia Airlines Could Run Out of Cash 2015; Diverts Plane Over Another War Zone After MH17 Crash
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown