‘How I Met Your Mother’ Ending: The Mother Is Dead Theory Persists
By Anne Lu | March 5, 2014 1:50 PM EST
Only a few weeks left before the final episode of “How I Met Your Mother,” and fans are already beating themselves up for the possibility that the “mother” might be dead all along.
Viewers are worried that Ted Mosby’s (Josh Radnor) wife and the mother (Cristin Milioti) of his two kids has passed away before the present year in the show, which is 2030.
The theory has been around for a while, but has picked up steam recently now that the series is coming to an end after nine seasons. And after the episode on Monday (U.S.), it has all but confirmed.
The 19th episode of season 9, titled “Vesuvius,” Ted and the still unnamed The Mother were talking in the year 2024, ten years after their first meeting.
He told her about her Robin’s (Cobie Smulders) mother showed up to her and Barney’s (Neil Patrick Harris) wedding. The Mother then said, “Of course she showed up. What mother is going to miss her daughter’s wedding?”
Ted then burst into tears at that moment, which led viewers to think that The Mother wouldn’t be present at their daughter Penny’s wedding in the future.
As The Mother comforted him, she told him to not be the guy who only lives in his stories, saying, “Life only moves forward.”
At that point, Bob Dylan’s “If You See Her, Say Hello” began playing until Ted’s narrative voice said, “She might think that I’ve forgotten her, don’t tell her it isn’t so.”
Until the recent episode, the theory was only something that fans could happily forget about. However, the dialogues uttered by Ted and The Mother have troubled the viewers, who are still hoping that they are wrong about their theory.
Some fans claimed that Ted burst into tears because his own mum died before he got married, but that theory was quickly shot down by other viewers who pointed out that it has been suggested that both his parents were alive in the future.
It could also be that The Mother is already dead, already a ghost, or is dying. Of the three options, only the “dying” theory is preferable because, as the fans claimed, it could be a cancer-remission scenario in 2024, when she is told that she has cancer and has only a slim chance of survival. However, she gets treatment and gets miraculously cured. In short, it’s still a happy ending, which the fans are all hoping for.
Another theory is that Ted has Alzheimer’s, and he is telling his stories to his kids because he is the one dying. As was pointed out, if The Mother is dying, shouldn’t she be the one telling the story and not Ted?
The Mother kept telling Ted to stop living in the past, and the show is about Ted looking back on his life, about his friends and his romances. If he was going to lose The Mother, he should have been telling stories about their time together.
Foreshadowing The Ending – The Dead Mother Theory Persists
Remember the 20th episode of season eight? “The Time Travellers” saw Ted showing up at The Mother’s door to explain how they’re going to meet.
“Exactly 45 days from now, you and I are going to meet. We’re going to fall in love and we’re going to get married, and we’re going to have two kids. We’re going to love them and each other so much. All that is 45 days away, but I’m here now, I guess because I want those extra 45 days with you. I want each one of them... I am always going to love you until the end of my days and beyond.”
As Jezebel said, it might be the most romantic or the most maudlin speech he has ever given about his future wife.
Also, the scenes that occur in 2030 have never mentioned The Mother in the present tense. She also never appears in flash forwards, which could just mean that she is ot present in the future beyond 2024.
“How I Met Your Mother” also stars Jason Segel and Alyson Hannigan. It is scheduled to air its final episode on March 31 in the U.S.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones