Canterbury Storm Cause 'Once-in-a-Century' Floods as Gale-Force Winds Knock Down Power
By Reissa Su | March 5, 2014 1:10 PM EST
The bad weather in New Zealand's Christchurch caused floods and massive power outages as the city council called it a "once-in-a-century" event. Roads and schools were ordered closed due to flooding brought by the storm. The city council said more than 4000 homes and businesses are still without electricity.
REUTERS/ Christine Brooks
Dust rises from rocks were falling from a cliff in the Christchurch suburb of Sumner moments after an earthquake struck December 23, 2011.
A media briefing was held at the council's headquarters with Mayor Lianne Daziel and Minister for Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Gerry Brownlee giving official updates. Mayor Daziel said the weather was "calming" and water levels were observed to be going down.
She told residents to stay indoors and advised family and friends to look out for one another. Employers were requested to stagger the release of employees to prevent traffic congestion on the roads during rush hour.
A Mairehau welfare centre had offered to help several people during the storm. The city council will assess the situation early today to see if the welfare centre needs to stay open.
Mr Brownlee remarked that the flooding in Canterbury was "quite extraordinary" since he has never seen anything like it. When asked if the mayor had done enough to prepare for the storm and floods, Ms Daziel replied that preparations have begun the past week.
The mayor and the minister will tour the city to assess the extent of the floods. Mr Brownlee said the funds from the programme helping earthquake-prone households with emergency repairs will be redirected to help those who were affected by the recent flooding.
Meanwhile, firefighters have responded to 300 storm-related incidents in Canterbury. Reports of smashed windows, uprooted trees and power lines, and lost roofs were received by authorities.
Gales initially caused most of the damage in the morning of March 4 followed by heavy rain throughout the night. The Christchurch City Council said several communities were isolated. Surface floods affected residents in Richmond, St Albans and Mairehau.
Firefighters rescued people who were stuck in their cars due to overnight flooding. People had no choice but to climb on the roofs of their cars and wait to be rescued. The police has already advised residents to put off unnecessary travel.
The power company, Orion, said about 4100 homes have no electricity. Most homes in the Banks Peninsula as well as pockets of Christchurch were identified as without power. Some substations were expected to be turned off due to rising flood water levels.
Residents affected by floods were warned of the health risks from coming into contact with contaminated flood water.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Father Spots A Bald Patch On The Lawn Outside His Girls' Bedroom And Gets Shocked At The Reason
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists