Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 3/5/14
By Steven Daghlian, CommSec Market Analyst | March 5, 2014 1:10 PM EST
The Australian sharemarket is up by 0.6 per cent, thanks to easing concerns (for now) relating to an Eastern European conflict. U.S markets surged by 1.5 per cent while major European stocks jumped by as much as 3.5 per cent overnight. President Putin ordered troops near the Ukrainian border to return to their bases. As expected, this resulted in an outflow of money from 'safe haven' assets such as gold, the greenback and U.S. treasuries. Around a quarter of Europe's oil and gas supplies are produced in Russia and delivered via pipelines through Ukraine.
Tim Wimborne / Reuters
People look at market display indicators through the window of the Australian Stock Exchange in Sydney
On the economic front the Australian economy expanded by 0.8 per cent between October and December 2013. This has taken annual growth for the year to 2.8 per cent; better than what most economists expected. The Australian dollar shot higher, hitting a high of US89.9c. This is unlikely to change the Reserve Bank's stance on interest rates.
The miners are contributing to the improvements, with BHP Billiton (BHP) around 0.7 per cent firmer at lunch. Iron ore miner, Fortescue Metals (FMG) is up 0.5 per cent. Australia's largest ore miner Rio Tinto (RIO) is down 1.7 per cent as it trades ex-dividend today. RIO which is the 11th biggest company on the Australian sharemarket will be paying out a $1.20 per share final dividend on 10 April.
Qantas (QAN) continues its losing streak; slipping by 2 per cent and falling for the third straight day. Labor, crossbenchers and the Greens have said they will block legislation to change the Qantas Sales Act in the Senate. Federal Labor favours a debt guarantee.
Biopharmaceutical firm CSL is down by just 0.22 per cent or 15c, despite trading ex-dividend today for its 58.8 cent per share dividend today. This means that purchasing CSL shares today onward will not make investors eligible to receive the next dividend payable on 4 April.
Some of the better performers at lunch are: Iluka Resources (ILU), BlueScope Steel (BSL), CSR, REA Group (REA), Platinum Asset (PTM), TPG Telecom (TPM), Echo Entertainment (EGP) and Aristocrat Leisure (ALL).
At lunch, 1.58 billion shares have changed hands, worth $2.14 billion. 512 stocks are higher, 270 are in the red and 311 are unchanged.
There are no public holidays globally today and all major markets are trading normally.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- Magaluf 2014 Update: Spanish Bar Where Teen Performed Sex Acts Closed, to Pay $78K Fine Along with Carnage Event Planner (VIDEOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian International Condemnation Extends to 2018 World Cup
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]