Boxing News 2014: Will Argentinian Boxer Marcos Maidana Pull Off Biggest Upset in Boxing History by Beating Mayweather Despite Not Being in Same League as Money May? (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 5, 2014 11:06 AM EST
Floyd Mayweather celebrates his victory over Canelo Alvarez, 15 September, 2013. Reuters
Boxing News 2014: A Tale of 2 Boxers – Russian Wladimir Klitschko vs Australian Alex Leapai Vie for World Heavyweight Title on April 27 in Germany (VIDEOS)
Boxing News 2014: Boxer Vitali Klitschko Looms as Ukraine’s Next President; Should Manny Pacquiao Follow His Foosteps, Win or Lose in April 12 Rematch vs Bradley? (VIDEOS)
As May 13 fast approaches, more admissions and revelations are coming from the camps of undefeated boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr and opponent Marcos Maidana of Argentina.
Amid previous admission from Money May that he purposely selected boxers whom he could beat - one of the reasons why he avoids picking eight-division title holder and Filipino boxing champ Manny Pacquiao - now comes a threat from Maidana trainer to pull the biggest upset in boxing history.
Roberto Garcia, trainer of Maidana, told Fight Hype that by delivering a better version of the strength that Maidana showed in this bout versus Adrien Broner in December, the Argentinian bull stands a chance of breaking Mayweather's 0 defeat record, just when Money May is about to hang his boxing gloves and retire and carve his name in boxing history as an undefeated pugilist.
The threat to break Money May's record comes despite admission from Garcia that the two boxers are not in the same league.
"Mayweather 's just totally something else, but, going into the fight, it was that Broner could be the next Mayweather and kind of wants to fight the same way that Mayweather fights. You know, I'm not saying that we're going to go in against another Broner, definitely not, but there are some similarities, so we are going to take advantage of it," he was quoted by Latino Post.
He pointed out that boxing pundits thought Maidana didn't have a fighting chance against Broner. "We don't have to be better than him, we just have to come out with a good game plan and have the style to beat him. If we fight just the way we did, then we pull it off," Garcia explained.
Former boxing champs Oscar de la Hoya and Ricky Hatton have opposing views on the Money May-Maidana bouts regarding the chances of the Argentinean boxer grabbing the two titles from Mayweather.
The Mayweather-Maidana bout would take place on May 3 at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada. At stake are the WBC and WBA welterweight title belts.
BadLeftHooks report that the two potential undercards for the much-anticipated Mayweather-Maidana fight are J'Leon Love vs Marco Antonio Periban and Abner Mares vs Takashi Miura.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments