Boxing News 2014: Will Argentinian Boxer Marcos Maidana Pull Off Biggest Upset in Boxing History by Beating Mayweather Despite Not Being in Same League as Money May? (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 5, 2014 11:06 AM EST
Floyd Mayweather celebrates his victory over Canelo Alvarez, 15 September, 2013. Reuters
Boxing News 2014: A Tale of 2 Boxers – Russian Wladimir Klitschko vs Australian Alex Leapai Vie for World Heavyweight Title on April 27 in Germany (VIDEOS)
Boxing News 2014: Boxer Vitali Klitschko Looms as Ukraine’s Next President; Should Manny Pacquiao Follow His Foosteps, Win or Lose in April 12 Rematch vs Bradley? (VIDEOS)
As May 13 fast approaches, more admissions and revelations are coming from the camps of undefeated boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr and opponent Marcos Maidana of Argentina.
Amid previous admission from Money May that he purposely selected boxers whom he could beat - one of the reasons why he avoids picking eight-division title holder and Filipino boxing champ Manny Pacquiao - now comes a threat from Maidana trainer to pull the biggest upset in boxing history.
Roberto Garcia, trainer of Maidana, told Fight Hype that by delivering a better version of the strength that Maidana showed in this bout versus Adrien Broner in December, the Argentinian bull stands a chance of breaking Mayweather's 0 defeat record, just when Money May is about to hang his boxing gloves and retire and carve his name in boxing history as an undefeated pugilist.
The threat to break Money May's record comes despite admission from Garcia that the two boxers are not in the same league.
"Mayweather 's just totally something else, but, going into the fight, it was that Broner could be the next Mayweather and kind of wants to fight the same way that Mayweather fights. You know, I'm not saying that we're going to go in against another Broner, definitely not, but there are some similarities, so we are going to take advantage of it," he was quoted by Latino Post.
He pointed out that boxing pundits thought Maidana didn't have a fighting chance against Broner. "We don't have to be better than him, we just have to come out with a good game plan and have the style to beat him. If we fight just the way we did, then we pull it off," Garcia explained.
Former boxing champs Oscar de la Hoya and Ricky Hatton have opposing views on the Money May-Maidana bouts regarding the chances of the Argentinean boxer grabbing the two titles from Mayweather.
The Mayweather-Maidana bout would take place on May 3 at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada. At stake are the WBC and WBA welterweight title belts.
BadLeftHooks report that the two potential undercards for the much-anticipated Mayweather-Maidana fight are J'Leon Love vs Marco Antonio Periban and Abner Mares vs Takashi Miura.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones