Indonesian Parole Official Says Schapelle Corby Tried To Commit Suicide
By Anne Lu | March 5, 2014 10:43 AM EST
Schapelle Corby tried to kills herself, Indonesian officials claimed. The 36-year-old Australian convict, apparently attempted to take her own life twice with a knife during a meeting with parole officers.
Australian beauty therapist Schapelle Corby reacts in a courtroom in Denpasar in the Indonesian island of Bali in this August 25, 2006 file photo. Indonesia granted early parole on February 7, 2014 to convicted Australian drug trafficker Corby despite calls from some MPs for the high profile prisoner to serve out her full term. Corby was sentenced to 20 years in prison in 2005 for trying to smuggle 4kg of marijuana into Bali. REUTERS/Murdani Usman/Files
Sunar Agus, the head of the corrections division of the Bali justice office, said that he visited Ms Corby in her sister Mercedes’ home in Kuta on Monday to discuss “various possibilities” after a documentary about her release has been aired on Australia’s Seven Network.
She was said to be “unstable mentally,” and had seemed afraid when he tried to talk with her.
Ms Corby apparently ran across the room and picked up a knife.
“She took a small knife and tried to slice her wrist. She was immediately prevented. It didn’t take a big effort. The family just stopped her and she gave up trying after that,” Mr Agus said.
She then tried it again after half an hour.
“I can’t tell someone’s intention but what I saw in front of me was that she tried to commit suicide,” he said, adding that he believes Ms Corby thought the officers were there to take her back to prison.
Ms Corby was also distressed about the media’s attention on her. She claimed that she is being photographed by reporters even while she’s sleeping in her room.
Mr Agus said that he thinks she was in mental distress, saying, “...when I tried to communicate it was not easy, and also from Corby’s body language she did not seem stable. She repeatedly said she was stressed because the media kept following her.”
However, a family source claimed that the reported incident was exaggerated.
The source told news.com.au that while it was true that Ms Corby had been frustrated at not being able to leave her house, the incident wasn’t as dramatic as reported. She just declared that everyone would be happier if she were to kill herself.
Ms Corby’s parole is at risk of being revoked after a documentary about her release was shown on Seven Network on Sunday.
Ms Corby, who was prohibited from giving media interviews, did not appear in the program. However, her sister Mercedes gave a teary interview, maintaining Ms Corby’s innocence and suggesting that the marijuana found in her bag “could have been from Indonesia.”
Justice Minister Amir Syamsuddin was incensed when he watched the show, saying that the family did not appear to be grateful for what they had already received.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports