Despite Sliding Down 10 Places in Forbes Magazine’s Rich List, Australia’s Wealthiest Person Gina Rinehart Grew Fortune by $700M in 2013 to $17.7B (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 5, 2014 10:13 AM EST
Most of the world's billionaires get only richer by the day. The only thing that changes is often their ranking on the rich list compiled by publications like Forbes and BRW.
Such again is the case for the controversial Gina Rinehart, the richest person in Australia with an estimated wealth of $17.7 billion, up in 2013 by about $700 million despite going down 10 places in the latest Forbes Magazine rich list to 46 to 36.
The big drop in price of iron ore and legal costs over her family feud failed to substantially dent the mining magnate's fortune, although she is now the fifth richest women on the list from being the richest a few years ago - a title currently held by Wal-Mart heiress Christy Walton.
But she is still the richest person in Australia with the second placer ranked way below at 208th place - billionaire James Packer with an estimated wealth of $6.5 billion.
In between the two are Rupert Murdoch and his family which are in media. The Murdoch patriarch was born in Australia, and his family went up 13 places to 78th spot with an estimated wealth of $13.5 billion.
Also moving up one notch, but at the top of the elite list is Microsoft founder Bill Gates with a net worth of $76 billion. He dethroned Mexican telecommunications magnate Carlos Slim to second spot with a fortune of $72 billion.
Third place is Spanish clothing giant Zara founder Amancio Ortega at $64 billion.
There are now 1,645 billionaires from 1,426 in 2014, boosted by those who got rich in the stock market. Among the new members are Jan Kourn and Brian Acton, founders of WhatsApp which was purchased recently by FaceBook for $19 billion, placing the two at 202nd and 551st places, respectively.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon