Despite Sliding Down 10 Places in Forbes Magazine’s Rich List, Australia’s Wealthiest Person Gina Rinehart Grew Fortune by $700M in 2013 to $17.7B (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 5, 2014 10:13 AM EST
Most of the world's billionaires get only richer by the day. The only thing that changes is often their ranking on the rich list compiled by publications like Forbes and BRW.
Such again is the case for the controversial Gina Rinehart, the richest person in Australia with an estimated wealth of $17.7 billion, up in 2013 by about $700 million despite going down 10 places in the latest Forbes Magazine rich list to 46 to 36.
The big drop in price of iron ore and legal costs over her family feud failed to substantially dent the mining magnate's fortune, although she is now the fifth richest women on the list from being the richest a few years ago - a title currently held by Wal-Mart heiress Christy Walton.
But she is still the richest person in Australia with the second placer ranked way below at 208th place - billionaire James Packer with an estimated wealth of $6.5 billion.
In between the two are Rupert Murdoch and his family which are in media. The Murdoch patriarch was born in Australia, and his family went up 13 places to 78th spot with an estimated wealth of $13.5 billion.
Also moving up one notch, but at the top of the elite list is Microsoft founder Bill Gates with a net worth of $76 billion. He dethroned Mexican telecommunications magnate Carlos Slim to second spot with a fortune of $72 billion.
Third place is Spanish clothing giant Zara founder Amancio Ortega at $64 billion.
There are now 1,645 billionaires from 1,426 in 2014, boosted by those who got rich in the stock market. Among the new members are Jan Kourn and Brian Acton, founders of WhatsApp which was purchased recently by FaceBook for $19 billion, placing the two at 202nd and 551st places, respectively.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Coming Out Gay Defies Corporate Norm: Tech Execs Applaud Inspiring Essay
- Bombshell, Shocking And Wild Read: Jefferies & Co. Sage Kelly Forces Wife To Have Sex With Clients For A Deal
- Russia Succeeds Where US Fails: ISS NASA Antares Rocket Explosion Meant to Happen; Russia Successfully Launches Cargo Ship
- The Cost Of Getting Infected With Ebola
- Walmart Sells ‘Fat Girl Costumes’ for Halloween
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists