Despite Sliding Down 10 Places in Forbes Magazine’s Rich List, Australia’s Wealthiest Person Gina Rinehart Grew Fortune by $700M in 2013 to $17.7B (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 5, 2014 10:13 AM EST
Most of the world's billionaires get only richer by the day. The only thing that changes is often their ranking on the rich list compiled by publications like Forbes and BRW.
Such again is the case for the controversial Gina Rinehart, the richest person in Australia with an estimated wealth of $17.7 billion, up in 2013 by about $700 million despite going down 10 places in the latest Forbes Magazine rich list to 46 to 36.
The big drop in price of iron ore and legal costs over her family feud failed to substantially dent the mining magnate's fortune, although she is now the fifth richest women on the list from being the richest a few years ago - a title currently held by Wal-Mart heiress Christy Walton.
But she is still the richest person in Australia with the second placer ranked way below at 208th place - billionaire James Packer with an estimated wealth of $6.5 billion.
In between the two are Rupert Murdoch and his family which are in media. The Murdoch patriarch was born in Australia, and his family went up 13 places to 78th spot with an estimated wealth of $13.5 billion.
Also moving up one notch, but at the top of the elite list is Microsoft founder Bill Gates with a net worth of $76 billion. He dethroned Mexican telecommunications magnate Carlos Slim to second spot with a fortune of $72 billion.
Third place is Spanish clothing giant Zara founder Amancio Ortega at $64 billion.
There are now 1,645 billionaires from 1,426 in 2014, boosted by those who got rich in the stock market. Among the new members are Jan Kourn and Brian Acton, founders of WhatsApp which was purchased recently by FaceBook for $19 billion, placing the two at 202nd and 551st places, respectively.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Floyd Mayweather Gets Investment Advice from Warren Buffett What to Do With Millions
- Former U.S. VP Al Gore Backs Ovo Energy by Investing £8 Million Before IPO
- Study Shows Gap Between What Advisors Say and What Resonates with Investors
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge