Trending News: North Korean Teenager 'First Man On the Sun' - Hoax Turns Into Internet Sensation
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 5, 2014 9:21 AM EST
A satirical report about a North Korean teenager as the first man to land on the sun has currently become an Internet sensation. This has drawn laughter from netizens on various social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter.
An Atlas 5 United Launch Alliance rocket lifts off from the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station carrying NASA's Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution (MAVEN) spacecraft in Cape Canaveral, Florida November 18, 2013.
April may be 2 months from now, but somebody is already fooling Internet users worldwide after coming up with an hilarious news about North Korea's superambitious plan to push space exploration into another level.
First published on Waterford Whispers News, a satirical news site, the article titled, "North Korea Lands First Ever Man on the Sun," confirmed Central News Agency has surprisingly generated tremendous traction on various social media platforms despite its a made-up story.
Greatest Human Achievement of Our Time
In the hilarious report, the North Korean government under the leadership of Kim Jung-un allegedly called the "Sun Mission" by Hung Il Gong, a 17-year-old astronaut, as the greatest human achievement of our time.
It reported that astronaut Hung Il Gong left for the sun on a specially designed rocket ship at approximately 3am this morning.
Hung, who traveled alone, reached his destination some four hours later, landing his craft on the far side of the lonely star.
"We are very delighted to announce a successful mission to put a man on the sun." a North Korean central news anchor man said on a live broadcast earlier. "North Korea has beaten every other country in the world to the sun. Hung Il Gong is a hero and deserves a hero's welcome when he returns home later this evening."
The specially trained astronaut is expected to return back to earth at 9pm tonight, where he will meet his uncle and supreme leader Kim Jong-un.
There have been several Internet hoaxes that had massive hits in the Internet due to its confusing details, but this one has become a sensation with its downright funny content.
Also, the story might have also been used as propaganda to attack the country's struggle to come up with long-range ballistic missile, according to Policy Me.
"Believing this story was genuine propaganda would require an assumption that North Koreans are either blindingly stupid or all carbon copies of Winston Smith at the end of Nineteen Eighty-Four, both of which are clearly untrue. North Koreans aren't scientifically illiterate enough to believe you can land on the sun," the site said.
"In fact, depending on who you ask, North Korea can't even build real missiles. A pair of German missile experts says that the ICBMs North Korea is so fond of parading around are low-quality mockups."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXUFNF4 Firmware Manual Installation
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Games: The Last of Us Remastered Photo Mode Leaked Shots; Halo: Master Chief Collection Detailed
- The SIMS 4 Official System Requirements Reveal Low Spec Demands; Release Date on September 2
- Dragon Age 3 Inquisition Romance: Cassandra Pentaghast, Dorian, Cullen, Sera, Iron Bull and Josephine Montilyet
- Minecraft 1.8 Snapshot 14w30c Released; Partnership with Lego to Reveal Toys This Fall
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6