Trending News: North Korean Teenager 'First Man On the Sun' - Hoax Turns Into Internet Sensation
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 5, 2014 9:21 AM EST
A satirical report about a North Korean teenager as the first man to land on the sun has currently become an Internet sensation. This has drawn laughter from netizens on various social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter.
An Atlas 5 United Launch Alliance rocket lifts off from the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station carrying NASA's Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution (MAVEN) spacecraft in Cape Canaveral, Florida November 18, 2013.
April may be 2 months from now, but somebody is already fooling Internet users worldwide after coming up with an hilarious news about North Korea's superambitious plan to push space exploration into another level.
First published on Waterford Whispers News, a satirical news site, the article titled, "North Korea Lands First Ever Man on the Sun," confirmed Central News Agency has surprisingly generated tremendous traction on various social media platforms despite its a made-up story.
Greatest Human Achievement of Our Time
In the hilarious report, the North Korean government under the leadership of Kim Jung-un allegedly called the "Sun Mission" by Hung Il Gong, a 17-year-old astronaut, as the greatest human achievement of our time.
It reported that astronaut Hung Il Gong left for the sun on a specially designed rocket ship at approximately 3am this morning.
Hung, who traveled alone, reached his destination some four hours later, landing his craft on the far side of the lonely star.
"We are very delighted to announce a successful mission to put a man on the sun." a North Korean central news anchor man said on a live broadcast earlier. "North Korea has beaten every other country in the world to the sun. Hung Il Gong is a hero and deserves a hero's welcome when he returns home later this evening."
The specially trained astronaut is expected to return back to earth at 9pm tonight, where he will meet his uncle and supreme leader Kim Jong-un.
There have been several Internet hoaxes that had massive hits in the Internet due to its confusing details, but this one has become a sensation with its downright funny content.
Also, the story might have also been used as propaganda to attack the country's struggle to come up with long-range ballistic missile, according to Policy Me.
"Believing this story was genuine propaganda would require an assumption that North Koreans are either blindingly stupid or all carbon copies of Winston Smith at the end of Nineteen Eighty-Four, both of which are clearly untrue. North Koreans aren't scientifically illiterate enough to believe you can land on the sun," the site said.
"In fact, depending on who you ask, North Korea can't even build real missiles. A pair of German missile experts says that the ICBMs North Korea is so fond of parading around are low-quality mockups."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge: Top Reasons To Upgrade From Galaxy Note 3 Or Galaxy Note 2
- 'World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Players Can Get The Free Character Boost Now And Still Upgrade To The Collector's Edition On Nov. 13, 2014, Plus The Horde Chopper Mount Will Only Be Available Until Sept. 30, 2014 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Samsung SM-A500 (aka Wallet-Friendly Galaxy Alpha) Clears TENAA Revealing Images And Specs
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- Chinese Property Developer Flees To New Zealand After China Arrests Vice-Mayor For Corrupt Deals
- Amazon Announces 7 New Kindles: Upgraded Amazon 8.9-inch Kindle Fire HDX Available Now On Pre-order