Kentucky Man Goes Barefoot for 365 Days to Raise Money for Shoeless Children
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 5, 2014 9:00 AM EST
Richard Hudgins is one of those people who refuse to take things for granted and move a step further to influence change, no matter how small. Mr Hudgins has decided to wear no shoes for 365 days and raise money for buying shoes for children who do not "have the luxury of owning a pair", according to his Facebook page.
If I get 10,000 facebook likes on the No Shoes For A Year page before March 1st 2014 I'll do the Polar Bear... http://t.co/0rsrrgw3cn
— Richard Hudgins (@RICHARDHUDGINS) January 29, 2014
The Kentucky man will take all the money he manages to raise by the end of year and take it to shoe companies. He hopes against all odds that he will be able to raise enough amount of money to give to the highest bid of contribution. He has been in touch with several non-profit organisations which are capable of helping him take shoes to children who are really in need of them.
Mr Hudgins is in need of sponsors who can help him go to the children with no shoes all over the world. The sponsors' money will be spent to travel to those children. However, if he does not find any sponsor, he plans to buy his ticket himself. He claims that he is confident that he will be able to get the shoeless children a pair each.
Mr Hudgins informs that there are 300 million children in the world, who do not have shoes to wear. Shoes work against the spread of parasitic diseases which affect more than 1.4 billion population around the planet, he writes. He further writes that it is rare for many people in developing nations to have a pair of shoes. Numerous children grow up in these countries without wearing any shoes.
His fundraising campaign page says that he explains why he decided to go barefoot. He wrote: : "I have a choice. They don't.".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Pacific Islands Forum Delegates Appeal for Changes to Climate Policies, Better Marine Life Protection
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date