Kentucky Man Goes Barefoot for 365 Days to Raise Money for Shoeless Children
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 5, 2014 9:00 AM EST
Richard Hudgins is one of those people who refuse to take things for granted and move a step further to influence change, no matter how small. Mr Hudgins has decided to wear no shoes for 365 days and raise money for buying shoes for children who do not "have the luxury of owning a pair", according to his Facebook page.
If I get 10,000 facebook likes on the No Shoes For A Year page before March 1st 2014 I'll do the Polar Bear... http://t.co/0rsrrgw3cn
— Richard Hudgins (@RICHARDHUDGINS) January 29, 2014
The Kentucky man will take all the money he manages to raise by the end of year and take it to shoe companies. He hopes against all odds that he will be able to raise enough amount of money to give to the highest bid of contribution. He has been in touch with several non-profit organisations which are capable of helping him take shoes to children who are really in need of them.
Mr Hudgins is in need of sponsors who can help him go to the children with no shoes all over the world. The sponsors' money will be spent to travel to those children. However, if he does not find any sponsor, he plans to buy his ticket himself. He claims that he is confident that he will be able to get the shoeless children a pair each.
Mr Hudgins informs that there are 300 million children in the world, who do not have shoes to wear. Shoes work against the spread of parasitic diseases which affect more than 1.4 billion population around the planet, he writes. He further writes that it is rare for many people in developing nations to have a pair of shoes. Numerous children grow up in these countries without wearing any shoes.
His fundraising campaign page says that he explains why he decided to go barefoot. He wrote: : "I have a choice. They don't.".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- UFO Falling 'Angel Hair' Strands Spotted By Portugal Residents [VIDEO]
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- US Toddler, 3, Shoots Mother To Death With 9mm Handgun
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Has 'Uncanny Ability,' Described As 'Posh' During Public Appearances
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report