Kentucky Man Goes Barefoot for 365 Days to Raise Money for Shoeless Children
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 5, 2014 9:00 AM EST
Richard Hudgins is one of those people who refuse to take things for granted and move a step further to influence change, no matter how small. Mr Hudgins has decided to wear no shoes for 365 days and raise money for buying shoes for children who do not "have the luxury of owning a pair", according to his Facebook page.
If I get 10,000 facebook likes on the No Shoes For A Year page before March 1st 2014 I'll do the Polar Bear... http://t.co/0rsrrgw3cn
— Richard Hudgins (@RICHARDHUDGINS) January 29, 2014
The Kentucky man will take all the money he manages to raise by the end of year and take it to shoe companies. He hopes against all odds that he will be able to raise enough amount of money to give to the highest bid of contribution. He has been in touch with several non-profit organisations which are capable of helping him take shoes to children who are really in need of them.
Mr Hudgins is in need of sponsors who can help him go to the children with no shoes all over the world. The sponsors' money will be spent to travel to those children. However, if he does not find any sponsor, he plans to buy his ticket himself. He claims that he is confident that he will be able to get the shoeless children a pair each.
Mr Hudgins informs that there are 300 million children in the world, who do not have shoes to wear. Shoes work against the spread of parasitic diseases which affect more than 1.4 billion population around the planet, he writes. He further writes that it is rare for many people in developing nations to have a pair of shoes. Numerous children grow up in these countries without wearing any shoes.
His fundraising campaign page says that he explains why he decided to go barefoot. He wrote: : "I have a choice. They don't.".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports