10 Ways to Observe Lent without Really Going Hungry
By Johnlee Varghese | March 5, 2014 2:50 AM EST
Lent is almost here and people will soon need to find ways to observe the 40-day penitential season. The season of Lent developed very early in Christian history as a way of preparing oneself to live the sacrificial life that God had demonstrated in Jesus Christ.
Lent will start on 5 March or Ash Wednesday
However, the times are changing and so should the practice. Here are 10 ways of observing Lent without really giving up on food:
- Instead of "giving up" on food or any other habit, try inculcating a new way of living, such as reading the scripture each evening, a daily rosary etc.
- Take time out of Twitter, Facebook etc and instead spend time on meditation.
- Besides the regular Sunday service, it is good to go to church frequently during Lent. Many churches of various traditions mostly have an additional worship service in midweek, and attendance at these services is a good way to participate in Lent. Ash Wednesday is a good day to start, also Clean Monday or "Ash Monday" is an auspicious day to start a new chapter.
- Reconciliation, or Confession, is a wonderful way to turn away from sin and reunite yourself with Christ during Lent. If you haven't already, try getting into the habit of going to Confession on a regular basis.
- Fast from a few meals each week, and give the money to groups that help to feed hungry people. Remember, the lent period that starts from the Ash Wednesday marks not just the beginning of the 40-day liturgical period of prayer and fasting, but also almsgiving.
- An innovative way to observe this lent season would be to take the food-stamp challenge. The average daily amount for a person on food-stamp is currently around $4.20 a day; so why not try living on the daily food-stamp allowance.
- If you want to really get into the true spirit of the penitential season, you can think of taking the extreme poverty fast. There are roughly a billion people in the world who live on less than $1.25 a day. Create a food budget with $1.25 a day for a few days and experience what it really means to be poor!
- Make a list of all the excesses in your life. Think about which ones you could do without.
- Think of somebody who needs help and pray for that person. You can do that while walking on the streets, driving the highways, sitting in your cubicle at work, or going to a movie.
- Some people take break from social media during Lent but you can also use the social media to spread the word of God. Use your social media accounts to evangelize by posting snippets of prayer or a scripture verse on Twitter or Facebook.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jonah Hill Solemnises Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo's Wedding Ceremony
- Pope Estimates 1 in 50 Clergy are Paedophiles; AU Doubles the Number
- Pope Francis Vows to ‘Use the Stick Against the Paedophile Priests’
- World Cup 2014 Finals: Sourgraping Brazil Celebrates Defeat of Rival Argentina; ‘They Already Have the Pope, That’s Enough’
- Tweet of Travel to Middle East to Join Jihadists Leads Philippine Police to Capture Australian ISIS Supporter in Cebu
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown