Telangana: Meet the Kith and Kin of KCR who are His Real Strength
By Rama Mohan | March 5, 2014 2:03 AM EST
Kalvakuntla Chandrasekhar Rao (KCR), who has been consistently in the headlines after the Centre announced statehood to Telangana, has been supported well by three young politicians, who are his kith and kin. They are his son KT Rama Rao, 38, daughter K Kavita, 35, and nephew T Harish Rao, 40.
Rama Rao is the MLA from Sirsilla in Karimnagar district. Being the son of KCR, the chief of Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS), he commands the second position in the party, after his father. He has worked as a techie in the US, prior to joining his father in the movement for Telangana statehood and now plays a key role in the Telangana Joint Action Committee, which is the platform of the struggle.
Rama Rao seems to be strategically planning to get the support of Telugu film industry, dominated by film personalities from coastal Andhra Pradesh, including several leading actors. On 3 March (Monday) Rama Rao extended his support to the film industry while participating at a program in Hyderabad, organised by AP Film Chamber of Commerce and his gesture has been welcomed by some of the members of the film industry as well. Rama Rao assured the film industry that there would be no trouble to them after the formation of Telangana state.
"We have to look at the future now. The film industry will have to develop more. No one should have any fears about the future of the film industry here," the Times of India quoted Rama Rao. It can be recalled here that TRS had protested against films and their makers whenever the Telangana region, its dialect or culture was portrayed even in a slight manner. Rama Rao also said whatever problems the film industry faced in the past was only because of the fight of the people for a separate Telangana state.
Another strong supporter of KCR is his nephew Harish Rao, the MLA from Siddipet. He is the familiar face of the party during agitations and media interactions. The vociferous leader is popular among the TRS activists. Harish Rao, 40, is the party's most visible face during agitations, courting arrests and clashing with the police. He is very vocal and was seen as KCR's successor till 2009, when the TRS chief launched his son, followed by daughter Kavita. Harish Rao, who is very popular among TRS activists, took that in his stride.
Another asset to TRS is KCR's daughter Kavita. She is the face of the party's women power. She has founded Telangana Jagruti outfit and has been promoting cultural activities of Telangana region. It is reported that she was seen as a strong contender to the then-TRS MP Vijayashanti, to contest the ensuing general elections. Vijayashanti, who was suspended from TRS, joined the Congress party recently.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install