Nigerian Woman Delivers Healthy Baby Boy Four Years after Getting Pregnant
By Johnlee Varghese | March 4, 2014 11:43 PM EST
Miracle or medical mistake? A Nigerian woman carried a baby in her womb for about four years, before finally giving birth to a healthy boy!
Represenation pic: A Nigerian woman gives birth to a boy four years after getting pregnant
The bewildering incident took place in Ndiagbor in Aninri in Enugu state. Oluchi Merife had become pregnant in March 2010 but within six months she started menstruating. And soon after a medical checkup, she was told by the hospital that there was no child in her womb, the Kenya Post reported.
Despite this, Oluchi still had a swollen belly till 13 December, when she finally delivered a healthy baby boy. While skeptics may have their doubts, Oluchi believes it was a miracle and it was 'God's healing touch' that helped her deliver a baby.
Oluchi stated that she had gone to several Christian priests, looking for a solution to her problem. And after attending a meeting in 2013, Oluchi was told by a Christian preacher to get an ultrasound scan done. "Just as the Pastor prophesied, the ultra scan showed that I was seven months pregnant," Oluchi said.
Earlier last year, there was another report of a Nigerian woman delivering a baby after being pregnant for two years, which is an indication of the poor health facilities available in the country.
With just bare minimum health facilities available in Nigeria, those living in the rural areas have the least access to health checkups. Nigeria is Africa's most populous country, and the maternal and infant mortality rates there are among the world's highest.
As per the World Factbook, Nigeria experienced approximately 630 maternal deaths per 100,000 live births in 2010, and approximately 73 infant deaths per 1,000 live births in 2013. In comparison, the maternal death rate in developed countries is approximately nine per 100,000, reported AllAfrica.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports