Nigerian Woman Delivers Healthy Baby Boy Four Years after Getting Pregnant
By Johnlee Varghese | March 4, 2014 11:43 PM EST
Miracle or medical mistake? A Nigerian woman carried a baby in her womb for about four years, before finally giving birth to a healthy boy!
Represenation pic: A Nigerian woman gives birth to a boy four years after getting pregnant
The bewildering incident took place in Ndiagbor in Aninri in Enugu state. Oluchi Merife had become pregnant in March 2010 but within six months she started menstruating. And soon after a medical checkup, she was told by the hospital that there was no child in her womb, the Kenya Post reported.
Despite this, Oluchi still had a swollen belly till 13 December, when she finally delivered a healthy baby boy. While skeptics may have their doubts, Oluchi believes it was a miracle and it was 'God's healing touch' that helped her deliver a baby.
Oluchi stated that she had gone to several Christian priests, looking for a solution to her problem. And after attending a meeting in 2013, Oluchi was told by a Christian preacher to get an ultrasound scan done. "Just as the Pastor prophesied, the ultra scan showed that I was seven months pregnant," Oluchi said.
Earlier last year, there was another report of a Nigerian woman delivering a baby after being pregnant for two years, which is an indication of the poor health facilities available in the country.
With just bare minimum health facilities available in Nigeria, those living in the rural areas have the least access to health checkups. Nigeria is Africa's most populous country, and the maternal and infant mortality rates there are among the world's highest.
As per the World Factbook, Nigeria experienced approximately 630 maternal deaths per 100,000 live births in 2010, and approximately 73 infant deaths per 1,000 live births in 2013. In comparison, the maternal death rate in developed countries is approximately nine per 100,000, reported AllAfrica.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Duchess Forced By The Queen To Be Out In The Public Again
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks