Nigerian Woman Delivers Healthy Baby Boy Four Years after Getting Pregnant
By Johnlee Varghese | March 4, 2014 11:43 PM EST
Miracle or medical mistake? A Nigerian woman carried a baby in her womb for about four years, before finally giving birth to a healthy boy!
Represenation pic: A Nigerian woman gives birth to a boy four years after getting pregnant
The bewildering incident took place in Ndiagbor in Aninri in Enugu state. Oluchi Merife had become pregnant in March 2010 but within six months she started menstruating. And soon after a medical checkup, she was told by the hospital that there was no child in her womb, the Kenya Post reported.
Despite this, Oluchi still had a swollen belly till 13 December, when she finally delivered a healthy baby boy. While skeptics may have their doubts, Oluchi believes it was a miracle and it was 'God's healing touch' that helped her deliver a baby.
Oluchi stated that she had gone to several Christian priests, looking for a solution to her problem. And after attending a meeting in 2013, Oluchi was told by a Christian preacher to get an ultrasound scan done. "Just as the Pastor prophesied, the ultra scan showed that I was seven months pregnant," Oluchi said.
Earlier last year, there was another report of a Nigerian woman delivering a baby after being pregnant for two years, which is an indication of the poor health facilities available in the country.
With just bare minimum health facilities available in Nigeria, those living in the rural areas have the least access to health checkups. Nigeria is Africa's most populous country, and the maternal and infant mortality rates there are among the world's highest.
As per the World Factbook, Nigeria experienced approximately 630 maternal deaths per 100,000 live births in 2010, and approximately 73 infant deaths per 1,000 live births in 2013. In comparison, the maternal death rate in developed countries is approximately nine per 100,000, reported AllAfrica.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Australia's Direct Action Policy To Increase Projected Emmisions By 2020 -- UN Report
- Canadian Soldier Dies in 'Freak Accident' at Work
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation