Nigerian Woman Delivers Healthy Baby Boy Four Years after Getting Pregnant
By Johnlee Varghese | March 4, 2014 11:43 PM EST
Miracle or medical mistake? A Nigerian woman carried a baby in her womb for about four years, before finally giving birth to a healthy boy!
Represenation pic: A Nigerian woman gives birth to a boy four years after getting pregnant
The bewildering incident took place in Ndiagbor in Aninri in Enugu state. Oluchi Merife had become pregnant in March 2010 but within six months she started menstruating. And soon after a medical checkup, she was told by the hospital that there was no child in her womb, the Kenya Post reported.
Despite this, Oluchi still had a swollen belly till 13 December, when she finally delivered a healthy baby boy. While skeptics may have their doubts, Oluchi believes it was a miracle and it was 'God's healing touch' that helped her deliver a baby.
Oluchi stated that she had gone to several Christian priests, looking for a solution to her problem. And after attending a meeting in 2013, Oluchi was told by a Christian preacher to get an ultrasound scan done. "Just as the Pastor prophesied, the ultra scan showed that I was seven months pregnant," Oluchi said.
Earlier last year, there was another report of a Nigerian woman delivering a baby after being pregnant for two years, which is an indication of the poor health facilities available in the country.
With just bare minimum health facilities available in Nigeria, those living in the rural areas have the least access to health checkups. Nigeria is Africa's most populous country, and the maternal and infant mortality rates there are among the world's highest.
As per the World Factbook, Nigeria experienced approximately 630 maternal deaths per 100,000 live births in 2010, and approximately 73 infant deaths per 1,000 live births in 2013. In comparison, the maternal death rate in developed countries is approximately nine per 100,000, reported AllAfrica.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown