Richest Indian Mukesh Ambani has $18.6 Billion; Richest Man on Earth Bill Gates has $76 Billion
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 4, 2014 10:31 PM EST
Mukesh Ambani, the chairman of India's Reliance Industries has emerged as the richest Indian with a net worth of $18.6 billion, according to the latest annual list of the world's richest people by Forbes magazine.
Mukesh Ambani, chairman of Reliance Industries Limited is the richest Indian.
Ambani is followed by ArcelorMittal's Lakhmi Mittal with a net worth of $16.7 billion. In global rankings, however, Ambani stands at 40th position, while Mittal ranks 52.
The latest list includes a record of 1,645 billionaires with a total net worth of $6.4 trillion up from 1,426, according to a report by Reuters.
Bill Gates has returned to the top on the list of the world's richest people, with a net worth of $76 billion. The Microsoft Corporation co-founder reclaimed the top spot after four-years break, toppling Mexico's telecommunications mogul Carlos Slim Helu, who has emerged as the second richest man on Earth this time, with $72 billion.
Amancio Ortega, the Spanish founder of clothing conglomerate Inditex SA, which also includes the Zara fashion chain, came to the third place with $64 billion.
On the fourth place is Warren Buffett, who runs Berkshire Hathaway Inc, and has close partnership with Gates. He had the net worth of $58.2 billion.
Oracle Corp's chief Larry Ellison managed to grab the fifth spot at $48 billion.
From among the list of the billionaires, just over 10 percent were female, with 172 women compared with 138 a year earlier.
The richest Woman on Earth is Walmart Stores Inc heiress Chrity Walton, and is in the ninth place, overall with $36.7 billion.
Next among the woman billionaires' is France's Liliane Bettencourt, who earned much from her cosmetics company, L'Oreal SA. She has $34.5 billion and finds position 11 on the list.
Google's founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin are in 17th and 19th position with $32.3 billion and $31.8 billion respectively, while Amazon's Jeff Bezos stood between them at $32 billion.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Centerplate CEO Des Hague Caught Abusing Dog In Vancouver Building Elevator [VIDEO]
- Boyfriend's Welcome Home Tribute In Candles Destroys His House
- 'Boob Aid': Japanese Porn Stars 'Excited' For 24HR Breasts Squeezing Charity
- The Most Insane Facts About The American Civil War That You May Not Know
- Viral Video Kevin Droniak Grandma: Teenager Shows Grandma Their Videos Together, Grandma Gives Priceless Reaction
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0