Richest Indian Mukesh Ambani has $18.6 Billion; Richest Man on Earth Bill Gates has $76 Billion
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 4, 2014 10:31 PM EST
Mukesh Ambani, the chairman of India's Reliance Industries has emerged as the richest Indian with a net worth of $18.6 billion, according to the latest annual list of the world's richest people by Forbes magazine.
Mukesh Ambani, chairman of Reliance Industries Limited is the richest Indian.
Ambani is followed by ArcelorMittal's Lakhmi Mittal with a net worth of $16.7 billion. In global rankings, however, Ambani stands at 40th position, while Mittal ranks 52.
The latest list includes a record of 1,645 billionaires with a total net worth of $6.4 trillion up from 1,426, according to a report by Reuters.
Bill Gates has returned to the top on the list of the world's richest people, with a net worth of $76 billion. The Microsoft Corporation co-founder reclaimed the top spot after four-years break, toppling Mexico's telecommunications mogul Carlos Slim Helu, who has emerged as the second richest man on Earth this time, with $72 billion.
Amancio Ortega, the Spanish founder of clothing conglomerate Inditex SA, which also includes the Zara fashion chain, came to the third place with $64 billion.
On the fourth place is Warren Buffett, who runs Berkshire Hathaway Inc, and has close partnership with Gates. He had the net worth of $58.2 billion.
Oracle Corp's chief Larry Ellison managed to grab the fifth spot at $48 billion.
From among the list of the billionaires, just over 10 percent were female, with 172 women compared with 138 a year earlier.
The richest Woman on Earth is Walmart Stores Inc heiress Chrity Walton, and is in the ninth place, overall with $36.7 billion.
Next among the woman billionaires' is France's Liliane Bettencourt, who earned much from her cosmetics company, L'Oreal SA. She has $34.5 billion and finds position 11 on the list.
Google's founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin are in 17th and 19th position with $32.3 billion and $31.8 billion respectively, while Amazon's Jeff Bezos stood between them at $32 billion.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS