Toyota Slashes Vehicle Prices in India
By greeshma m | March 4, 2014 10:30 PM EST
Toyota Kirloskar Motor (TKM), the manufacturer of the India's favourite Innova, is the latest carmaker to announce a price cut in India, to woo the auto lovers' in the country. The price cut comes in the wake of the latest excise duty reduction announced in the interim budget 2014-15.
Toyota sold 26.6 percent more cars in January than it did in the same month last year.
Finance minister P Chidambaram, while presenting the budget, had said that the excise duty of cars, motorcycles, scooters and commercial vehicles in India has been cut down to 8 percent from 12, and the excise duty of Sports Utility Vehicles (SUVs) has gone down to 24 percent from 30.
The cut brings down the prices of Toyota's models including the popular Fortuner, Innova and Land Cruiser. The Etios Liva petrol hatchback, which was earlier priced in the range of ₹4.53 to ₹5.03 lakh, is now available for ₹4.44 lakh to ₹4.89 lakh. Fortuner prices have been slashed by up to ₹62,000 as the base variant of Fortuner two-wheel drive manual is now available for ₹21.81 lakh, while the automatic variant is priced at ₹22.79 lakh.
Innova now costs ₹9.47 lakh as against the previous ₹9.89. The Camry petrol variant is marketed at a price pint of ₹25.09 lakh after the price cut, while the Camry hybrid is priced at ₹29.13 lakh.
Carmakers like Tata Motors, Maruti Suzuki, Mahindra & Mahindra, Ford, Volkswagen and Hyundai have also announced price cuts across all models.
Toyota sold 11,284 units in February, compared to the 13,979 units sold in the same period last year. The export of Etios series stood at 1,184 units last month.
"The recent excise duty cut was a welcome step taken by the government to revive car sale. However, other factors like high interest rate, falling rupee and unstable fuel pricing still loom large in the market," said N Raja, senior VP, Sales and Marketing according to TOI.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide