Toyota Slashes Vehicle Prices in India
By greeshma m | March 4, 2014 10:30 PM EST
Toyota Kirloskar Motor (TKM), the manufacturer of the India's favourite Innova, is the latest carmaker to announce a price cut in India, to woo the auto lovers' in the country. The price cut comes in the wake of the latest excise duty reduction announced in the interim budget 2014-15.
Toyota sold 26.6 percent more cars in January than it did in the same month last year.
Finance minister P Chidambaram, while presenting the budget, had said that the excise duty of cars, motorcycles, scooters and commercial vehicles in India has been cut down to 8 percent from 12, and the excise duty of Sports Utility Vehicles (SUVs) has gone down to 24 percent from 30.
The cut brings down the prices of Toyota's models including the popular Fortuner, Innova and Land Cruiser. The Etios Liva petrol hatchback, which was earlier priced in the range of ₹4.53 to ₹5.03 lakh, is now available for ₹4.44 lakh to ₹4.89 lakh. Fortuner prices have been slashed by up to ₹62,000 as the base variant of Fortuner two-wheel drive manual is now available for ₹21.81 lakh, while the automatic variant is priced at ₹22.79 lakh.
Innova now costs ₹9.47 lakh as against the previous ₹9.89. The Camry petrol variant is marketed at a price pint of ₹25.09 lakh after the price cut, while the Camry hybrid is priced at ₹29.13 lakh.
Carmakers like Tata Motors, Maruti Suzuki, Mahindra & Mahindra, Ford, Volkswagen and Hyundai have also announced price cuts across all models.
Toyota sold 11,284 units in February, compared to the 13,979 units sold in the same period last year. The export of Etios series stood at 1,184 units last month.
"The recent excise duty cut was a welcome step taken by the government to revive car sale. However, other factors like high interest rate, falling rupee and unstable fuel pricing still loom large in the market," said N Raja, senior VP, Sales and Marketing according to TOI.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fast Food Meat Scandal: McDonald’s Suspend Nuggets and McSpicy Chicken Filets
- Air New Zealand Flies Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies
- Solution to Your Old Unwanted Phones Comes with MobileMuster Scheme
- IBM Named Leader in Worldwide Managed Security Services
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]