Forbes 2014 Billionaires List: Sheryl Sandberg, Sara Blakely, Oprah Winfrey Join Global Super Rich Club
By Keerthi Mohan | March 4, 2014 9:04 PM EST
This year, a record number of women have entered the global billionaire community and Forbes released the names of 172 women who have made it io 28th annual billionaires list on Monday.
Facebook COO, Sheryl Sandberg, 44, the first woman to serve on the social networking giant’s board, is one among the 10 percent of women who have entered the super rich club.
Sandberg’s fortune saw a sudden increase last year after she was hired by Facebook and her more than 12 million shares in the company jumped 130 percent last year, according to the reports.
Sandberg, who is worth approximately $1.05 billion, also gained popularity with “Lean In,” a book advocating women to put more energy into their careers, and how to succeed in the male-dominated corporate sector.
Sandberg is one among the 32 self-made billionaires on the list, which include Sara Blakely, owner of Spanx, an undergarment company, Tory Burch, fashion designer, and Oprah Winfrey, media mogul and talk show host.
Interestingly, only one woman, Meg Whitman, CEO of Hewlett Packard, accomplished the task of increasing her fortunes as a hired hand, according to Forbes.
The others inherited their fortune from either parents or husbands.
Newbies on the list include Folorunsho Alakija, who became Nigeria’s first female billionaire after finding success with her oil business. Today, the 63-year-old is worth $2.5 billion.
“My entry into this oil business was God’s own way of leading me down a particular path,” Alakija said, according to Forbes.
English businesswoman Denise Coates, 46, who started the online betting firm Bet365, is worth $1.6billion, and her fortune comes from her stake in the company. Coates is known for her love to stay under the radar even though the company, of which she is a joint CEO with her brother John, has been flourishing over the years.
"I really don't enjoy the attention,” Coates said in 2012 during an interview with The Guardian. “The public side does not come naturally to me. I'm not saying I'm a shrinking violet. I'm not. I've been bossy all my life. It's just I very much enjoy actually running the business."
Meanwhile, Estee Lauder's grand daughters - Jane Lauder (aged 41, worth 1.15 billion) and Aerin Lauder Zinterhofer (aged 44, worth $1.1 billion) are also new additions to the list. A transfer of shares in the cosmetic empire helped them gain an entrance into the super-rich club.
The duo has been working in the company which their grandmother launched in 1946 since their college days. Zinterhofer is the image and style director at her family’s conglomerate and in April, Jane will head Clinique, a skin-care line, under the Estée Lauder umbrella, Forbes reported.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- Health Canada Orders Labeling of Mechanically Tenderized Beef Meat
- Embattled Malaysia Airlines Could Run Out of Cash 2015; Diverts Plane Over Another War Zone After MH17 Crash
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales