‘How I Met Your Mother’ Season 9 Spoilers: HIMYM Hints Mother's Dead?
By Keerthi Mohan | March 4, 2014 8:18 PM EST
“How I Met Your Mother” is nearing its end and Monday’s episode once again has managed to fuel speculations that the mother might be shown as dead when CBS pulls the curtain on the show at the end of this month.
How I Met Your Mother
Monday’s episode, titled “Vesuvius,” was replete with hints that the mother is on her way to bite the dust. The episode starts off in the year 2024 and shows Ted and the mother making their way to an inn after braving a snowstorm.
This reminds Ted of a story, and the mother stops him saying she has already heard the particular tale.
“Wow. You know every one of my stories,” the mother tells Ted. “And you know every one of mine,” he replies. “I guess it’s official. We’re an old married couple.”
Ted and the mother decide to celebrate growing old together by narrating anecdotes. The scene then shifts to Robin and Barney’s wedding as Ted starts off a story about how Robin broke the lamp.
Ted says that it is during his best friends’ wedding that he realised that the future might not present sufficient opportunities for all of them to be together again.
“And then it hit all of us. We didn’t know the last time we’d all be together,” Ted says in the present day. “When a moment is too intense…It’s best to leave it unspoken,” the mother finishes as they exchange a sad look.
In the episode, the mother also proceeds to tell Ted that she is worried he lives in his stories. He urges him to move on with his life instead of living in the past.
“I love your yarns,” she says. “I hope you never stop spinning them. You’re the love of my life, pooh bear. I just worry about you. I don’t want you to be the guy who lives in his stories. Life only moves forward.”
Another hint of the mother’s imminent death comes when Robin’s mother is shown attending her wedding. When Ted expresses his surprise, the mother says that they should have worked out that Robin’s mother was going to make it to the wedding at all cost.
“What type of mother misses their daughter’s wedding?” the mother says, as Ted bursts out crying.
Theory of the mother being dead has been doing the rounds ever since news emerged that the current season will be the final. Fans feel that Ted is telling the story to his kids in 2030 because their mother is no longer alive. Ted believes his stories will bring his children closer to their mother.
In an earlier episode, Ted talks about wanting to spend more time with the mother, and this further fuelled speculation about the mother’s imminent death.
The cast wrapped up filming last week, and Cobie Smulders, who plays Robin in the series, took to her Instagram to share a photo with the message:
“That's a wrap! I feel so grateful to the men and women who made our set a wonderful place to go each day. Thank you.”
Smulders earlier said that she burst into tears after she learned the details of how the show is going to end.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown