TRS Chief KCR Rules Out Merger With Congress, Opens Doors to All Parties for Poll Tie-ups
By Rama Mohan | March 4, 2014 8:08 PM EST
Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) president K Chandrasekhar Rao (KCR) has ruled out a merger of his party's merger with Congress on 3 March 2014. "The party has unanimously decided not to merge with Congress, to develop it as a mainstream political party committed to give a voice to Telangana people and develop the region," KCR told to media after the party meeting in Hyderabad.
K Chandrsekhar Rao (centre) at a meeting when he was the Labour Minister in the Congress-led UPA I government
Now TRS is open to forge electoral alliance with any party including the Congress, the TRS chief declared.
TRS' move has been seen as a blow to Congress in Andhra Pradesh, especially Telangana area, where the Election Commission is likely to announce poll schedule to both Assembly and Lok Sabha.
Now TRS has formed a committee, headed by a senior party leader K Keshava Rao.
The TRS chief admitted that he had promised to merge the party with Congress in September 2013 for an unconditional Telangana state. It did not happen then. Now, TRS' refusal to merge is not a political opportunism. "I had said yes to merger, if Telangana was given unconditionally. But here, it has been given with so many conditions," KCR was quoted by India TodayIndia Today" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">.
"TRS has been offended by Congress with its behaviour in the aftermath of the Telangana bill passage in the Parliament," KCR said. He alleged that the Centre has not conceded any of the demands put forth by TRS. He accused that Sonia Gandhi, the Congress party president, has been misguided by the party leaders on Telangana issue. He cited that the Centre has decided to entrust the task of law and order of Hyderabad to Governor, once the Telangana is created.
He listed out TRS demands, which have not been met by the Congress-headed UPA government while passing Telangana bill in the Parliament.
Following are the TRS demands put forth to the Centre by KCR.
Special status should be given to eight backward districts in Telangana.
The Hyderabad House in Delhi is an ancestral property of Telangana, which has been taken over by the Centre and made it as Andhra Pradesh Bhavan. Now AP Bhavan should be given to the new Telangana state.
The National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) should supply 500 MW extra to Telangana.
Pranahita and Vejella irrigation projects should be declared as national projects.
The Centre should see to that, in the new Telangana, State government employees should be the natives of Telangana only.
He expressed ire over Congress for admitting suspended TRS MP and film actress Vijayashanti and other expelled TRS MLAs and leaders.
KCR described the act of the Centre allotting seven mandals of Telangana region to residual Andhra Pradesh or the proposed Seemandhra state, citing the excuse of Polavaram project irrigation project.
Allotting the seven mandals to Seemandhra is anti-constitutional and TRS party will move it to the Supreme Court for justice on the issue, KCR said.
There are other ways to express gratitude to Sonia Gandhi for making Telangana bill passed in the Parliament, like by supporting Congress at the Centre in the event of forming the next government at the Centre, KCR told during the TRS meeting.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales