India makes Oral Polio Vaccination (OPV) Must for Visitors
By Roshni Mahesh | March 4, 2014 6:41 PM EST
India has made oral polio vaccine (OPV) mandatory for all travellers visiting or going out of the country. The new regulation, which came into effect from 1 March, is aimed at preventing re-entry of polio virus from countries like Ethiopia, Afghanistan, Syria, Kenya, Somalia, Nigeria and Pakistan.
ASCOM - Prefeitura de/Flickr
India makes oral polio vaccine (OPV) mandatory for all travellers visiting or going out of the country
Travellers from these seven countries should take OPV at least six weeks prior to the date of departure from their country, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare announced on Monday.
"Years of efforts and huge financial resources have been invested by India for stopping polio in India. We cannot risk importation of poliovirus, which is getting bigger and bigger with the recent outbreaks in the Middle East and earlier in the horn of Africa region," Ms Anuradha Gupta, Additional Secretary, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, said in a statement. "This new preventive measure has been initiated as per the recommendations of the national and international expert bodies and the guidelines of the World Health Organization."
The new polio vaccination regime comes at a time when India is awaiting polio-free certification from the World Health Organization (WHO). On 13 January, Monday, India completed three years without a single case of polio. It was in 2011 the last case of polio was reported in India, when a two year-old girl from Howrah district of West Bengal was paralysed by the infection. However, the risk posed by travellers from polio infected areas continued to be a source of concern among the health officials.
Officials from the World Health Organization welcomed the new move. "World Health Organization supports the Government of India initiative for making polio immunization a requirement for travelers from and to the polio-affected countries. This is also in line with the recommendation of the Independent Monitoring Board of the Global Polio Eradication Initiative," WHO Representative to India, Dr Nata Menabde, said.
Polio is an infectious disease that affects small children aged below five. According to WHO, the virus, that enters body through contaminated water or food, can invade the nervous system and cause total paralysis within a short time. The virus though normally leads to permanent paralysis, it can also cause death. Fever, fatigue, headache, vomiting, stiffness in the neck, limb pain are some symptoms of the deadly disease.
Though polio cases have declined significantly over the years, last year concern surged due to polio outbreak in countries like Afghanistan (14), Nigeria (15), Pakistan (93), Syria (24), Kenya (14), Somalia (193) Ethiopia (9) and Cameroon (4). According to a Global Polio Eradication Initiative report, Pakistan has recorded seven new cases of polio this week.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Kourtney Kardashian Shares Her Parenting Secrets To Kim Kardashian
- New Ebola Strain in Congo Spark Fears of Outbreak Across Africa; More Flight Cancellations Hamper Aid
- Low-Carb and High Protein Diet Combo is The World's Best Diet
- "Sex Superbug" Puts Doctors on High Alert: A New Strain of Highly Resistant Gonorrhoea was Found in Australia
- 'Hair Of The Dog': A Cure For Hangovers
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features