India makes Oral Polio Vaccination (OPV) Must for Visitors
By Roshni Mahesh | March 4, 2014 6:41 PM EST
India has made oral polio vaccine (OPV) mandatory for all travellers visiting or going out of the country. The new regulation, which came into effect from 1 March, is aimed at preventing re-entry of polio virus from countries like Ethiopia, Afghanistan, Syria, Kenya, Somalia, Nigeria and Pakistan.
ASCOM - Prefeitura de/Flickr
India makes oral polio vaccine (OPV) mandatory for all travellers visiting or going out of the country
Travellers from these seven countries should take OPV at least six weeks prior to the date of departure from their country, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare announced on Monday.
"Years of efforts and huge financial resources have been invested by India for stopping polio in India. We cannot risk importation of poliovirus, which is getting bigger and bigger with the recent outbreaks in the Middle East and earlier in the horn of Africa region," Ms Anuradha Gupta, Additional Secretary, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, said in a statement. "This new preventive measure has been initiated as per the recommendations of the national and international expert bodies and the guidelines of the World Health Organization."
The new polio vaccination regime comes at a time when India is awaiting polio-free certification from the World Health Organization (WHO). On 13 January, Monday, India completed three years without a single case of polio. It was in 2011 the last case of polio was reported in India, when a two year-old girl from Howrah district of West Bengal was paralysed by the infection. However, the risk posed by travellers from polio infected areas continued to be a source of concern among the health officials.
Officials from the World Health Organization welcomed the new move. "World Health Organization supports the Government of India initiative for making polio immunization a requirement for travelers from and to the polio-affected countries. This is also in line with the recommendation of the Independent Monitoring Board of the Global Polio Eradication Initiative," WHO Representative to India, Dr Nata Menabde, said.
Polio is an infectious disease that affects small children aged below five. According to WHO, the virus, that enters body through contaminated water or food, can invade the nervous system and cause total paralysis within a short time. The virus though normally leads to permanent paralysis, it can also cause death. Fever, fatigue, headache, vomiting, stiffness in the neck, limb pain are some symptoms of the deadly disease.
Though polio cases have declined significantly over the years, last year concern surged due to polio outbreak in countries like Afghanistan (14), Nigeria (15), Pakistan (93), Syria (24), Kenya (14), Somalia (193) Ethiopia (9) and Cameroon (4). According to a Global Polio Eradication Initiative report, Pakistan has recorded seven new cases of polio this week.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola: American Doctors in Liberia Trying Out New Methods
- 5 Deadly Reasons to Stay Away From Soda (Watch Video)
- Boxing News 2014: 12 Days to Mayweather-Maidana Rematch; Money May’s Bikram Yoga Routine Includes Placing $100 Bills Around Mat
- Low-Carb Diet Helps Reduce Risk of Heart Disease, Aids Weight Loss; A Look At Celebs Who Adopted The Diet
- Bill Clinton Credits Sugar-Free Diet For Weight Loss: A Vegan Diet If Not Followed Properly Can Cause Weight Gain
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers