Nokia X vs Samsung Galaxy S5 vs Sony Xperia Z2: Best Launches at the MWC 2014
By Precious Silva | March 4, 2014 6:34 PM EST
The Mobile World Congress 2014 gave way to three major smartphone launches: the Nokia X, the Samsung Galaxy S5 and the Sony Xperia Z2. The three tech giants took turns hogging the limelight during the congress. But is the attention just the hype? Do Samsung, Sony and Nokia really deliver? A look at the specs of each smartphone should help better understand why the Nokia X, the Samsung Galaxy S5 and the Sony Xperia Z2 were considered the best launches during the Mobile World Congress 2014.
Nokia Chief Executive Stephen Elop unveils the Nokia X at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona
The Nokia X series became a show stealer during the congress. Firstly, it was Nokia's move to switch to Android which gained enough attention. Likewise, the Nokia X, X+ and XL will be available for 89 euros, 99 euros and 109 euros respectively. According to Nokia, the company wants to target the lower end of the market.
Analysts think that the Nokia X series can create a dent on the sales of leading phone manufacturers like Sony, HTC and Samsung. The handset series offers excellent features but for an affordable price. Specs of the Nokia X include:
- IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors, 480 x 800 pixels, 4.0 inches (~233 ppi pixel density)
- Primary camera: 3.15 MP, 2048x1536 pixels
- Android OS, v4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)
- Qualcomm MSM8225 Snapdragon S4 Play
- Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A5
- Adreno 203
- microSD, up to 32 GB
- 4 GB, 512 MB RAM
Nokia X offers an Android experience that is friendly to the pocket.
Samsung Galaxy S5
The Samsung Galaxy S5 made headlines weeks before its release. The smartphone's launch is considered one of the biggest for South Korean tech giant, Samsung. One point of interest is that Samsung did not reveal any price tag. While the price ranges from region to region, analysts think it would have been great for the company to give consumers an idea of what to spend for the new smartphone.
Features of the smartphone include:
- Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors, 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.1 inches (~432 ppi pixel density)
- microSD, up to 128 GB
- 16/32 GB storage, 2 GB RAM
- Primary camera: 16 MP, 5312 x 2988 pixels, phase detection
autofocus, LED flash
- 1/2.6'' sensor size, 1.12 µm pixel size, Dual Shot, Simultaneous HD video and image recording, geo-tagging, touch focus, face and smile detection, image stabilization, HDR
- Android OS, v4.4.2 (KitKat)
- Qualcomm MSM8974AC Snapdragon 801
- Quad-core 2.5 GHz Krait 400
- Adreno 330
The device will hit stores on April 11.
Sony Xperia Z2
Japanese tech giant Sony unleashed another contender during the MWC 2014 - the Sony Xperia Z2. The Sony Xperia Z2 gathered enough positive response - enough for some analysts to say it can give the iPhone 5s and the Samsung Galaxy S5 a run for their money.
The Sony Xperia Z2 comes with the following:
- IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors, 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.2 inches (~424 ppi pixel density)
- microSD, up to 64 GB
- 16 GB, 3 GB RAM
- Primary camera: 20.7 MP, autofocus, LED flash
- Android OS, v4.4.2 (KitKat)
- Qualcomm MSM8974AB Snapdragon 801
- Quad-core 2.3 GHz Krait 400
- Adreno 330
Sony Xperia Z2 will hit stores starting this March onwards. People will have to wait for announcements for release in their regions.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports