Apple Inc. iPad Fumbles in Worldwide Tablet Sales, Android Lands Top Spot - Gartner
By Athena Yenko | March 4, 2014 6:22 PM EST
Android had snatched the number 1 spot from iOS for the most popular platform. From the 195 million tablets sold in 2013, 62 per cent of sales on 121 million tablets were Android based tablets. On the other hand, Apple Inc. sold 70 million iPads for a 36 per cent share in the market.
"In 2013, tablets became a mainstream phenomenon, with a vast choice of Android-based tablets being within the budget of mainstream consumers while still offering adequate specifications.As the Android tablet market becomes highly commoditized, in 2014, it will be critical for vendors to focus on device experience and meaningful technology and ecosystem value — beyond just hardware and cost — to ensure brand loyalty and improved margins,” said Roberta Cozza, research director at Gartner. "
Apple Inc iOS share in tablet sales plunged at 16.8 per cent in 2013. This was mainly because demands had drastically shifted to smaller low-cost tablets which were being offered by Apple Inc’s competitors. The proliferation of “white-box” products in the emerging markets had also contributed largely to iPad’s share decline.
According to Ms Cozza, the emerging markets showed 145 per cent growth in 2013, while mature markets only showed 31 per cent in growth.
However, Apple Inc. remains the number one vendor, leaving Samsung behind at number 2.
"Apple's tablets remain strong in the higher end of the market and, Apple's approach will continue to force vendors to compete with full ecosystem offerings, even in the smaller-screen market as the iPad mini sees a greater share”, added Ms. Cozza.
Nevertheless, Apple should not be complacent because Samsung had decreased its gap from Apple. Samsung showed the highest growth of the worldwide tablet vendors at 336 per cent in 2013. Galaxy tablet was instrumental in narrowing the gap between Apple and Samsung.
* About Gartner
Gartner, Inc. (NYSE: IT) is the world's leading information technology research and advisory company. Gartner delivers the technology-related insight necessary for its clients to make the right decisions, every day. From CIOs and senior IT leaders in corporations and government agencies, to business leaders in high-tech and telecom enterprises and professional services firms, to technology investors, Gartner is the valuable partner in over 13,000 distinct organizations. Through the resources of Gartner Research, Gartner Executive Programs, Gartner Consulting and Gartner Events, Gartner works with every client to research, analyze and interpret the business of IT within the context of their individual role. Founded in 1979, Gartner is headquartered in Stamford, Connecticut, U.S.A., and has 5,800 associates, including 1,450 research analysts and consultants, and clients in 85 countries. For more information, visit www.gartner.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports