Apple Inc. iPad Fumbles in Worldwide Tablet Sales, Android Lands Top Spot - Gartner
By Athena Yenko | March 4, 2014 6:22 PM EST
Android had snatched the number 1 spot from iOS for the most popular platform. From the 195 million tablets sold in 2013, 62 per cent of sales on 121 million tablets were Android based tablets. On the other hand, Apple Inc. sold 70 million iPads for a 36 per cent share in the market.
"In 2013, tablets became a mainstream phenomenon, with a vast choice of Android-based tablets being within the budget of mainstream consumers while still offering adequate specifications.As the Android tablet market becomes highly commoditized, in 2014, it will be critical for vendors to focus on device experience and meaningful technology and ecosystem value — beyond just hardware and cost — to ensure brand loyalty and improved margins,” said Roberta Cozza, research director at Gartner. "
Apple Inc iOS share in tablet sales plunged at 16.8 per cent in 2013. This was mainly because demands had drastically shifted to smaller low-cost tablets which were being offered by Apple Inc’s competitors. The proliferation of “white-box” products in the emerging markets had also contributed largely to iPad’s share decline.
According to Ms Cozza, the emerging markets showed 145 per cent growth in 2013, while mature markets only showed 31 per cent in growth.
However, Apple Inc. remains the number one vendor, leaving Samsung behind at number 2.
"Apple's tablets remain strong in the higher end of the market and, Apple's approach will continue to force vendors to compete with full ecosystem offerings, even in the smaller-screen market as the iPad mini sees a greater share”, added Ms. Cozza.
Nevertheless, Apple should not be complacent because Samsung had decreased its gap from Apple. Samsung showed the highest growth of the worldwide tablet vendors at 336 per cent in 2013. Galaxy tablet was instrumental in narrowing the gap between Apple and Samsung.
* About Gartner
Gartner, Inc. (NYSE: IT) is the world's leading information technology research and advisory company. Gartner delivers the technology-related insight necessary for its clients to make the right decisions, every day. From CIOs and senior IT leaders in corporations and government agencies, to business leaders in high-tech and telecom enterprises and professional services firms, to technology investors, Gartner is the valuable partner in over 13,000 distinct organizations. Through the resources of Gartner Research, Gartner Executive Programs, Gartner Consulting and Gartner Events, Gartner works with every client to research, analyze and interpret the business of IT within the context of their individual role. Founded in 1979, Gartner is headquartered in Stamford, Connecticut, U.S.A., and has 5,800 associates, including 1,450 research analysts and consultants, and clients in 85 countries. For more information, visit www.gartner.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight