Royal Tour Australia: ‘Ordinary’ People over Elites, Duke and Duchess Request
By Athena Yenko | March 4, 2014 5:52 PM EST
For their tour of Australia, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge requested for more time meeting with the ordinary people instead of politicians, judges and business people, according to Premier Campbell Newman. Hence, the meet-and-greet will strictly be an invite-only.
"It's no secret that the Attorney-General is very excited as well, but I've just cautioned him that (the royals) have expressed a desire to see a lot more of ordinary men and women across this state, people from all walks of life rather than politicians, judges and senior business people so maybe he'll miss out," Mr Campbell told Courier Mail.
If there is possibility that Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie will be left out, then no one from Queensland's social elite should have high expectations meeting with the royal couple. While this was sad news for the social elites, commoners were delighted to have heard of the request from the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
In 2011, celebrities and business icons spent $500 per head to join Prince William during a fundraiser activity. For the Duke and Duchess tour on April though, they would have to wait for the ticket announcement from the Premier's office.
Entrepreneur Stefan Ackerie who paid for 2011 said that if luck works in his favour, he will be more than happy to meet the couple again.
"If I'm privileged enough to be invited, of course I would love to. If they don't invite me to be there, I'll just wish them the best," Mr Ackerie told Courier Mail.
The same goes for business icon Sarina Russo who also paid for the 2011 event.
"Prince William is most impressive - he's a young leader with extraordinary global qualities. I hope I get an invite from the Premier or the Government and meet him again," Ms Russo said.
While the elites were leaving their chance to luck, members of the Manly Life Saving Club were assured of their chance to meet the Duke and Duchess.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were already scheduled to watch lifesavers in action after their visit at Bear Cottage children's hospice in Manly on April 18.
The Manly Life Saving Club was fortunate to be chosen as host of the surfing show to be held along stretch of one of the beaches in the area.
The news came as a pleasant surprise for the organisation as they were only told about it Saturday.
''It came out of the blue. I mean, the competition season is over but we'll come up with something," Media and Communications manager Donna Wishart told the Sydney Morning Herald.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- What May Have Happened to Malaysia Airlines MH17: 5 Strangest Conspiracy Theories; Crash Victim Had Frightening ‘Premonition’
- MH17: Pro-Russian Rebel Confesses Firing on Plane by Mistake
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Russia Floats Another Ridiculous Conspiracy Theory that MH 370 & 17 Is One Jet Which U.S. Military Arranged to Be Blown Up Over Ukraine
- Another Missing Jet: Air Algeria Disappears With 116 on Board
- Refloated Italy Cruise Ship Costa Concordia Embarks Final Voyage, Bids Port of Giglio for the Very Last Time (PHOTOS)
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon