Manchester United Transfer News: Sell Robin Van Persie in the Summer, Says Former Player
By Deepak Vikraman | March 4, 2014 5:05 PM EST
Robin Van Persie needs to be the first player to be sold in the summer by Manchester United, according to former Queens Park Rangers and West Ham player Martin "Mad Dog" Allen.
Van Persie expressed his unhappiness at the lack of chances being created at Manchester United, blaming his teammates for coming in his way inside the penalty box during the 2-0 loss to Olympiakos in the Champions League.
Those comments led to reports suggesting the Dutch international was looking for a way out of Old Trafford following a miserable season under David Moyes.
Writing in his column for the Daily Mail, Allen insisted showing Van Persie the exit door was the best option available for the English Premier League champions.
"The comments on Dutch TV by Robin van Persie that his teammates are getting in his way and going into his positions are typical of the Dutch mentality that we've seen throughout their World Cup campaigns," Allen said.
"We've seen players getting sent home for disagreeing with the manager, players getting sent home because they've complained they're not playing and players getting sent home because they're not happy with the bonuses.
"It's a very fine line between confidence and arrogance. Can you imagine Wayne Rooney's face when he read those comments? Clearly Van Persie wants out. Aged 30 and with a poor injury record he's the first one who should be shown the exit door in the summer."
Van Persie has been frustrated by injuries this season, part of the reason why the former Arsenal striker has failed to create a proper understanding with fellow superstar Wayne Rooney.
United are in dire straits at the moment, 12 points behind fourth-placed Manchester City, who have a further game in hand. Moyes' men, having already been knocked out of the domestic Cups, are also on the verge of elimination in the Champions League, after going down to Olympiakos last week.
However, despite Van Persie's comments, it is believed United will stand firm over the Dutchman's demands, if he were to make any, of course, much like they refused to sell Rooney to Chelsea last summer.
United have been tipped to spend big in the next transfer window, with the likes of Toni Kroos and William Carvalho being mentioned, to just name a couple.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Manchester United Owners Set To Sell Club In £3B Deal After Acquiring Cristiano Ronaldo, Report Says
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- Ukraine Under Pressure To Accept EU Brokered Gas Deal With Russia: Resists High Prices Demanded By Russia