Manchester United Transfer News: Sell Robin Van Persie in the Summer, Says Former Player
By Deepak Vikraman | March 4, 2014 5:05 PM EST
Robin Van Persie needs to be the first player to be sold in the summer by Manchester United, according to former Queens Park Rangers and West Ham player Martin "Mad Dog" Allen.
Van Persie expressed his unhappiness at the lack of chances being created at Manchester United, blaming his teammates for coming in his way inside the penalty box during the 2-0 loss to Olympiakos in the Champions League.
Those comments led to reports suggesting the Dutch international was looking for a way out of Old Trafford following a miserable season under David Moyes.
Writing in his column for the Daily Mail, Allen insisted showing Van Persie the exit door was the best option available for the English Premier League champions.
"The comments on Dutch TV by Robin van Persie that his teammates are getting in his way and going into his positions are typical of the Dutch mentality that we've seen throughout their World Cup campaigns," Allen said.
"We've seen players getting sent home for disagreeing with the manager, players getting sent home because they've complained they're not playing and players getting sent home because they're not happy with the bonuses.
"It's a very fine line between confidence and arrogance. Can you imagine Wayne Rooney's face when he read those comments? Clearly Van Persie wants out. Aged 30 and with a poor injury record he's the first one who should be shown the exit door in the summer."
Van Persie has been frustrated by injuries this season, part of the reason why the former Arsenal striker has failed to create a proper understanding with fellow superstar Wayne Rooney.
United are in dire straits at the moment, 12 points behind fourth-placed Manchester City, who have a further game in hand. Moyes' men, having already been knocked out of the domestic Cups, are also on the verge of elimination in the Champions League, after going down to Olympiakos last week.
However, despite Van Persie's comments, it is believed United will stand firm over the Dutchman's demands, if he were to make any, of course, much like they refused to sell Rooney to Chelsea last summer.
United have been tipped to spend big in the next transfer window, with the likes of Toni Kroos and William Carvalho being mentioned, to just name a couple.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air