Manchester United Transfer News: Sell Robin Van Persie in the Summer, Says Former Player
By Deepak Vikraman | March 4, 2014 5:05 PM EST
Robin Van Persie needs to be the first player to be sold in the summer by Manchester United, according to former Queens Park Rangers and West Ham player Martin "Mad Dog" Allen.
Van Persie expressed his unhappiness at the lack of chances being created at Manchester United, blaming his teammates for coming in his way inside the penalty box during the 2-0 loss to Olympiakos in the Champions League.
Those comments led to reports suggesting the Dutch international was looking for a way out of Old Trafford following a miserable season under David Moyes.
Writing in his column for the Daily Mail, Allen insisted showing Van Persie the exit door was the best option available for the English Premier League champions.
"The comments on Dutch TV by Robin van Persie that his teammates are getting in his way and going into his positions are typical of the Dutch mentality that we've seen throughout their World Cup campaigns," Allen said.
"We've seen players getting sent home for disagreeing with the manager, players getting sent home because they've complained they're not playing and players getting sent home because they're not happy with the bonuses.
"It's a very fine line between confidence and arrogance. Can you imagine Wayne Rooney's face when he read those comments? Clearly Van Persie wants out. Aged 30 and with a poor injury record he's the first one who should be shown the exit door in the summer."
Van Persie has been frustrated by injuries this season, part of the reason why the former Arsenal striker has failed to create a proper understanding with fellow superstar Wayne Rooney.
United are in dire straits at the moment, 12 points behind fourth-placed Manchester City, who have a further game in hand. Moyes' men, having already been knocked out of the domestic Cups, are also on the verge of elimination in the Champions League, after going down to Olympiakos last week.
However, despite Van Persie's comments, it is believed United will stand firm over the Dutchman's demands, if he were to make any, of course, much like they refused to sell Rooney to Chelsea last summer.
United have been tipped to spend big in the next transfer window, with the likes of Toni Kroos and William Carvalho being mentioned, to just name a couple.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best