'Downton Abbey' Season 5 Spoilers: Show to End After Fifth Season? Lady Mary Actress and Exec Prod Address Rumours
By Vanessa Francisco | March 4, 2014 4:57 PM EST
Is "Downton Abbey" down to its last season? Michelle Dockery who stars as Lady Mary on the show said she does not know how long the show is going to run but promises to stick with it for however long the producers want it to go. "We are on series five now. What is great is that we have six months of the year to do other stuff in between so I'm still here and whatever opportunities that might come up, then I will go with it," Dockery told ITV.
The creator of the show, Julian Fellowes also said in December that he was not sure about a sixth season as well. "I do not know if there is a season six but it is not going to go on forever," Fellowes revealed. "It will not be Perry Mason."
Warning: Spoilers alert!
"Downton Abbey" executive producer Gareth Neame also told the Hollywood Reporter that an October episode where Anna (Joanne Froggatt) got rape and her subsequent fallout with her husband Bates (Brendan Coyle) caused quite an uproar and drew different reactions from viewers. There was a huge discrepancy between the U.S. and UK ratings. "If we were to end the show right now, the show is still growing, playing in new territories around the world. However, I would not want anyone to think the show went too long. It is about us trying to find a balance and calling things just at the right time," Neame addressed the rumours.
On a lighter note, Neame has just announced Maggie Smith's reprisal of her role as Violet Crawley, who can now be on the show for as long as she decides to. "She will be back on Season 5," Neame confirmed. "She is a big part of the show and I think she also enjoys doing it. I think it is remarkable for someone who has had such an illustrious and long career to still be delivering work of this caliber. One has really got to make reference to the very remarkable combination of Maggie Smith and Julian Fellowes. She is almost like a muse to him."
Downton Abbey Season 5 is set to return around January 2015 on PBS.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop