'Downton Abbey' Season 5 Spoilers: Show to End After Fifth Season? Lady Mary Actress and Exec Prod Address Rumours
By Vanessa Francisco | March 4, 2014 4:57 PM EST
Is "Downton Abbey" down to its last season? Michelle Dockery who stars as Lady Mary on the show said she does not know how long the show is going to run but promises to stick with it for however long the producers want it to go. "We are on series five now. What is great is that we have six months of the year to do other stuff in between so I'm still here and whatever opportunities that might come up, then I will go with it," Dockery told ITV.
The creator of the show, Julian Fellowes also said in December that he was not sure about a sixth season as well. "I do not know if there is a season six but it is not going to go on forever," Fellowes revealed. "It will not be Perry Mason."
Warning: Spoilers alert!
"Downton Abbey" executive producer Gareth Neame also told the Hollywood Reporter that an October episode where Anna (Joanne Froggatt) got rape and her subsequent fallout with her husband Bates (Brendan Coyle) caused quite an uproar and drew different reactions from viewers. There was a huge discrepancy between the U.S. and UK ratings. "If we were to end the show right now, the show is still growing, playing in new territories around the world. However, I would not want anyone to think the show went too long. It is about us trying to find a balance and calling things just at the right time," Neame addressed the rumours.
On a lighter note, Neame has just announced Maggie Smith's reprisal of her role as Violet Crawley, who can now be on the show for as long as she decides to. "She will be back on Season 5," Neame confirmed. "She is a big part of the show and I think she also enjoys doing it. I think it is remarkable for someone who has had such an illustrious and long career to still be delivering work of this caliber. One has really got to make reference to the very remarkable combination of Maggie Smith and Julian Fellowes. She is almost like a muse to him."
Downton Abbey Season 5 is set to return around January 2015 on PBS.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Katey Sagal On Gemma Teller’s Fate in ‘Red Rose’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers – ‘Coda’: Midseason Finale Is ‘Heartbreaking’ And ‘Gut-Wrenching’
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report