'Downton Abbey' Season 5 Spoilers: Show to End After Fifth Season? Lady Mary Actress and Exec Prod Address Rumours
By Vanessa Francisco | March 4, 2014 4:57 PM EST
Is "Downton Abbey" down to its last season? Michelle Dockery who stars as Lady Mary on the show said she does not know how long the show is going to run but promises to stick with it for however long the producers want it to go. "We are on series five now. What is great is that we have six months of the year to do other stuff in between so I'm still here and whatever opportunities that might come up, then I will go with it," Dockery told ITV.
The creator of the show, Julian Fellowes also said in December that he was not sure about a sixth season as well. "I do not know if there is a season six but it is not going to go on forever," Fellowes revealed. "It will not be Perry Mason."
Warning: Spoilers alert!
"Downton Abbey" executive producer Gareth Neame also told the Hollywood Reporter that an October episode where Anna (Joanne Froggatt) got rape and her subsequent fallout with her husband Bates (Brendan Coyle) caused quite an uproar and drew different reactions from viewers. There was a huge discrepancy between the U.S. and UK ratings. "If we were to end the show right now, the show is still growing, playing in new territories around the world. However, I would not want anyone to think the show went too long. It is about us trying to find a balance and calling things just at the right time," Neame addressed the rumours.
On a lighter note, Neame has just announced Maggie Smith's reprisal of her role as Violet Crawley, who can now be on the show for as long as she decides to. "She will be back on Season 5," Neame confirmed. "She is a big part of the show and I think she also enjoys doing it. I think it is remarkable for someone who has had such an illustrious and long career to still be delivering work of this caliber. One has really got to make reference to the very remarkable combination of Maggie Smith and Julian Fellowes. She is almost like a muse to him."
Downton Abbey Season 5 is set to return around January 2015 on PBS.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia