'Downton Abbey' Season 5 Spoilers: Show to End After Fifth Season? Lady Mary Actress and Exec Prod Address Rumours
By Vanessa Francisco | March 4, 2014 4:57 PM EST
Is "Downton Abbey" down to its last season? Michelle Dockery who stars as Lady Mary on the show said she does not know how long the show is going to run but promises to stick with it for however long the producers want it to go. "We are on series five now. What is great is that we have six months of the year to do other stuff in between so I'm still here and whatever opportunities that might come up, then I will go with it," Dockery told ITV.
The creator of the show, Julian Fellowes also said in December that he was not sure about a sixth season as well. "I do not know if there is a season six but it is not going to go on forever," Fellowes revealed. "It will not be Perry Mason."
Warning: Spoilers alert!
"Downton Abbey" executive producer Gareth Neame also told the Hollywood Reporter that an October episode where Anna (Joanne Froggatt) got rape and her subsequent fallout with her husband Bates (Brendan Coyle) caused quite an uproar and drew different reactions from viewers. There was a huge discrepancy between the U.S. and UK ratings. "If we were to end the show right now, the show is still growing, playing in new territories around the world. However, I would not want anyone to think the show went too long. It is about us trying to find a balance and calling things just at the right time," Neame addressed the rumours.
On a lighter note, Neame has just announced Maggie Smith's reprisal of her role as Violet Crawley, who can now be on the show for as long as she decides to. "She will be back on Season 5," Neame confirmed. "She is a big part of the show and I think she also enjoys doing it. I think it is remarkable for someone who has had such an illustrious and long career to still be delivering work of this caliber. One has really got to make reference to the very remarkable combination of Maggie Smith and Julian Fellowes. She is almost like a muse to him."
Downton Abbey Season 5 is set to return around January 2015 on PBS.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best