'Downton Abbey' Season 5 Spoilers: Show to End After Fifth Season? Lady Mary Actress and Exec Prod Address Rumours
By Vanessa Francisco | March 4, 2014 4:57 PM EST
Is "Downton Abbey" down to its last season? Michelle Dockery who stars as Lady Mary on the show said she does not know how long the show is going to run but promises to stick with it for however long the producers want it to go. "We are on series five now. What is great is that we have six months of the year to do other stuff in between so I'm still here and whatever opportunities that might come up, then I will go with it," Dockery told ITV.
The creator of the show, Julian Fellowes also said in December that he was not sure about a sixth season as well. "I do not know if there is a season six but it is not going to go on forever," Fellowes revealed. "It will not be Perry Mason."
Warning: Spoilers alert!
"Downton Abbey" executive producer Gareth Neame also told the Hollywood Reporter that an October episode where Anna (Joanne Froggatt) got rape and her subsequent fallout with her husband Bates (Brendan Coyle) caused quite an uproar and drew different reactions from viewers. There was a huge discrepancy between the U.S. and UK ratings. "If we were to end the show right now, the show is still growing, playing in new territories around the world. However, I would not want anyone to think the show went too long. It is about us trying to find a balance and calling things just at the right time," Neame addressed the rumours.
On a lighter note, Neame has just announced Maggie Smith's reprisal of her role as Violet Crawley, who can now be on the show for as long as she decides to. "She will be back on Season 5," Neame confirmed. "She is a big part of the show and I think she also enjoys doing it. I think it is remarkable for someone who has had such an illustrious and long career to still be delivering work of this caliber. One has really got to make reference to the very remarkable combination of Maggie Smith and Julian Fellowes. She is almost like a muse to him."
Downton Abbey Season 5 is set to return around January 2015 on PBS.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Young and the Restless July 28- August 1 Spoilers, Cast News: Updates on Devon, Hilary, Chelsea, Billy, Jack, Phyllis Plus Criminal Minds Actor Returns
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Daenerys Targaryen vs Yezzan, Nymeria Sand Actress Announced at Comic Con 2014
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6