Arsenal Transfer News: Gooner Petitions Liverpool to Release Luis Suarez After Henry's Comments
By Deepak Vikraman | March 4, 2014 4:17 PM EST
After Liverpool owner John W Henry admitted Luis Suarez did have a £40 million release clause in his contract, an incensed Arsenal fan has asked the Merseyside club to release their superstar player in the summer.
Arsenal infamously failed with a £40 million and £1 bid for Suarez last summer, with Liverpool refusing to sell the Uruguayan, who did agitate for a move.
However, Henry has now revealed Suarez did have a buyout clause but Liverpool refused to honour the terms of the deal.
"Luis Suarez is the top scorer in the English Premier League, which is arguably the top soccer league in the world," Henry said while speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference in Boston.
"He had a buyout clause of £40 million. Arsenal, one of our prime rivals -- this year we're tied for second ... we're actually second because of goal difference, offered £40m plus £1.
"What we've found ... is that contracts don't seem to mean a lot in England -- actually, in world football.
"It doesn't matter how long a player's contract is, he can decide he's leaving."
What Henry was possibly saying about contracts was the fact that if the player wants a move, irrespective of how many years he has on his current deal, he invariably gets his way; with Liverpool, like Manchester United did with Wayne Rooney, standing firm and holding their own.
However, all that is history now, with Suarez, who began his season with a bang, subsequently signing a new deal with Liverpool, with everything now looking hunky dory from the Reds' point of view.
A disgruntled Arsenal fan, though, has petitioned Liverpool to let go of their player, insisting the Reds should "free" Suarez and also pay Arsenal £4,500000 compensation along with an aplology.
Not too surprisingly, the petition has only received a few hundred signatures so far, albeit from various parts of the world, with the possibility of Suarez now signing for Arsenal as remote as a year without rain in the UK.
Read about the petition HERE.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border