Arsenal Transfer News: Gooner Petitions Liverpool to Release Luis Suarez After Henry's Comments
By Deepak Vikraman | March 4, 2014 4:17 PM EST
After Liverpool owner John W Henry admitted Luis Suarez did have a £40 million release clause in his contract, an incensed Arsenal fan has asked the Merseyside club to release their superstar player in the summer.
Arsenal infamously failed with a £40 million and £1 bid for Suarez last summer, with Liverpool refusing to sell the Uruguayan, who did agitate for a move.
However, Henry has now revealed Suarez did have a buyout clause but Liverpool refused to honour the terms of the deal.
"Luis Suarez is the top scorer in the English Premier League, which is arguably the top soccer league in the world," Henry said while speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference in Boston.
"He had a buyout clause of £40 million. Arsenal, one of our prime rivals -- this year we're tied for second ... we're actually second because of goal difference, offered £40m plus £1.
"What we've found ... is that contracts don't seem to mean a lot in England -- actually, in world football.
"It doesn't matter how long a player's contract is, he can decide he's leaving."
What Henry was possibly saying about contracts was the fact that if the player wants a move, irrespective of how many years he has on his current deal, he invariably gets his way; with Liverpool, like Manchester United did with Wayne Rooney, standing firm and holding their own.
However, all that is history now, with Suarez, who began his season with a bang, subsequently signing a new deal with Liverpool, with everything now looking hunky dory from the Reds' point of view.
A disgruntled Arsenal fan, though, has petitioned Liverpool to let go of their player, insisting the Reds should "free" Suarez and also pay Arsenal £4,500000 compensation along with an aplology.
Not too surprisingly, the petition has only received a few hundred signatures so far, albeit from various parts of the world, with the possibility of Suarez now signing for Arsenal as remote as a year without rain in the UK.
Read about the petition HERE.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia