Arsenal Transfer News: Gooner Petitions Liverpool to Release Luis Suarez After Henry's Comments
By Deepak Vikraman | March 4, 2014 4:17 PM EST
After Liverpool owner John W Henry admitted Luis Suarez did have a £40 million release clause in his contract, an incensed Arsenal fan has asked the Merseyside club to release their superstar player in the summer.
Arsenal infamously failed with a £40 million and £1 bid for Suarez last summer, with Liverpool refusing to sell the Uruguayan, who did agitate for a move.
However, Henry has now revealed Suarez did have a buyout clause but Liverpool refused to honour the terms of the deal.
"Luis Suarez is the top scorer in the English Premier League, which is arguably the top soccer league in the world," Henry said while speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference in Boston.
"He had a buyout clause of £40 million. Arsenal, one of our prime rivals -- this year we're tied for second ... we're actually second because of goal difference, offered £40m plus £1.
"What we've found ... is that contracts don't seem to mean a lot in England -- actually, in world football.
"It doesn't matter how long a player's contract is, he can decide he's leaving."
What Henry was possibly saying about contracts was the fact that if the player wants a move, irrespective of how many years he has on his current deal, he invariably gets his way; with Liverpool, like Manchester United did with Wayne Rooney, standing firm and holding their own.
However, all that is history now, with Suarez, who began his season with a bang, subsequently signing a new deal with Liverpool, with everything now looking hunky dory from the Reds' point of view.
A disgruntled Arsenal fan, though, has petitioned Liverpool to let go of their player, insisting the Reds should "free" Suarez and also pay Arsenal £4,500000 compensation along with an aplology.
Not too surprisingly, the petition has only received a few hundred signatures so far, albeit from various parts of the world, with the possibility of Suarez now signing for Arsenal as remote as a year without rain in the UK.
Read about the petition HERE.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories