Arsenal Transfer News: Gooner Petitions Liverpool to Release Luis Suarez After Henry's Comments
By Deepak Vikraman | March 4, 2014 4:17 PM EST
After Liverpool owner John W Henry admitted Luis Suarez did have a £40 million release clause in his contract, an incensed Arsenal fan has asked the Merseyside club to release their superstar player in the summer.
Arsenal infamously failed with a £40 million and £1 bid for Suarez last summer, with Liverpool refusing to sell the Uruguayan, who did agitate for a move.
However, Henry has now revealed Suarez did have a buyout clause but Liverpool refused to honour the terms of the deal.
"Luis Suarez is the top scorer in the English Premier League, which is arguably the top soccer league in the world," Henry said while speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference in Boston.
"He had a buyout clause of £40 million. Arsenal, one of our prime rivals -- this year we're tied for second ... we're actually second because of goal difference, offered £40m plus £1.
"What we've found ... is that contracts don't seem to mean a lot in England -- actually, in world football.
"It doesn't matter how long a player's contract is, he can decide he's leaving."
What Henry was possibly saying about contracts was the fact that if the player wants a move, irrespective of how many years he has on his current deal, he invariably gets his way; with Liverpool, like Manchester United did with Wayne Rooney, standing firm and holding their own.
However, all that is history now, with Suarez, who began his season with a bang, subsequently signing a new deal with Liverpool, with everything now looking hunky dory from the Reds' point of view.
A disgruntled Arsenal fan, though, has petitioned Liverpool to let go of their player, insisting the Reds should "free" Suarez and also pay Arsenal £4,500000 compensation along with an aplology.
Not too surprisingly, the petition has only received a few hundred signatures so far, albeit from various parts of the world, with the possibility of Suarez now signing for Arsenal as remote as a year without rain in the UK.
Read about the petition HERE.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Blows Out Novak Djokovic as Top Contender For US Open Series – Tennis TV Poll
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide