Arsenal Transfer News: Gooner Petitions Liverpool to Release Luis Suarez After Henry's Comments
By Deepak Vikraman | March 4, 2014 4:17 PM EST
After Liverpool owner John W Henry admitted Luis Suarez did have a £40 million release clause in his contract, an incensed Arsenal fan has asked the Merseyside club to release their superstar player in the summer.
Arsenal infamously failed with a £40 million and £1 bid for Suarez last summer, with Liverpool refusing to sell the Uruguayan, who did agitate for a move.
However, Henry has now revealed Suarez did have a buyout clause but Liverpool refused to honour the terms of the deal.
"Luis Suarez is the top scorer in the English Premier League, which is arguably the top soccer league in the world," Henry said while speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference in Boston.
"He had a buyout clause of £40 million. Arsenal, one of our prime rivals -- this year we're tied for second ... we're actually second because of goal difference, offered £40m plus £1.
"What we've found ... is that contracts don't seem to mean a lot in England -- actually, in world football.
"It doesn't matter how long a player's contract is, he can decide he's leaving."
What Henry was possibly saying about contracts was the fact that if the player wants a move, irrespective of how many years he has on his current deal, he invariably gets his way; with Liverpool, like Manchester United did with Wayne Rooney, standing firm and holding their own.
However, all that is history now, with Suarez, who began his season with a bang, subsequently signing a new deal with Liverpool, with everything now looking hunky dory from the Reds' point of view.
A disgruntled Arsenal fan, though, has petitioned Liverpool to let go of their player, insisting the Reds should "free" Suarez and also pay Arsenal £4,500000 compensation along with an aplology.
Not too surprisingly, the petition has only received a few hundred signatures so far, albeit from various parts of the world, with the possibility of Suarez now signing for Arsenal as remote as a year without rain in the UK.
Read about the petition HERE.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans