University Student Wins Miss Canada, One More Indian Success Story in West
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 4, 2014 3:58 PM EST
Priya Madaan was just another university student from Windsor. However, everything changed when the 18-year-old was crowned Miss Canada 2014 on Saturday March 1.
Still can't believe I'm Miss Canada 2014!! pic.twitter.com/4OnIZcFgMs
— Miss Canada 2014 (@primadaana) March 2, 2014
According to her Facebook page, Ms Madaan is a Nursing student from Ontario. She happens to be a high achiever in academics. At the same time, she is actively involved as a volunteer in the Heart and Stroke Foundation as well as the Canadian World Education Foundation.
Her origin goes back to Punjab, a northern state in India. She is also a member of the South Asian student organisation, the Punjabi Students Association.
Ms Madaan's achievement came as surprise to her. She said that she was shocked to know that she had been chosen as Miss Canada 2014. She was chosen among 19 finalists who came from all over the country. She called it a "proud accomplishment" to win the crown as the primary criterion to choose one is one's personality.
The popular misconception is that beauty pageants are chosen only for their looks. The jury, on the other hand, is more interested in someone who has the potential to become a role model for her charisma, intelligence and passion for a cause, she claimed.
Ms Madaan is one more example of a person from Indian origin to gain major success in a foreign country. The obvious example, in comparison to Ms Madaan, is Nina Davuluri who earlier became Miss U.S.A.
Ms Davuluri's achievement drew several racist comments as well as strong appreciation. She is also quite an achiever in studies as she aspires to attend medical school and be a physician.
Another recent example of someone from Indian origin to claim the zenith of success in the West is Satya Nadella who recently became the new CEO of Microsoft. Mr Nadella was preferred over long time company executive Tony Bates. Bill Gates called him the future of the company.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Reports: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal