University Student Wins Miss Canada, One More Indian Success Story in West
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 4, 2014 3:58 PM EST
Priya Madaan was just another university student from Windsor. However, everything changed when the 18-year-old was crowned Miss Canada 2014 on Saturday March 1.
Still can't believe I'm Miss Canada 2014!! pic.twitter.com/4OnIZcFgMs
— Miss Canada 2014 (@primadaana) March 2, 2014
According to her Facebook page, Ms Madaan is a Nursing student from Ontario. She happens to be a high achiever in academics. At the same time, she is actively involved as a volunteer in the Heart and Stroke Foundation as well as the Canadian World Education Foundation.
Her origin goes back to Punjab, a northern state in India. She is also a member of the South Asian student organisation, the Punjabi Students Association.
Ms Madaan's achievement came as surprise to her. She said that she was shocked to know that she had been chosen as Miss Canada 2014. She was chosen among 19 finalists who came from all over the country. She called it a "proud accomplishment" to win the crown as the primary criterion to choose one is one's personality.
The popular misconception is that beauty pageants are chosen only for their looks. The jury, on the other hand, is more interested in someone who has the potential to become a role model for her charisma, intelligence and passion for a cause, she claimed.
Ms Madaan is one more example of a person from Indian origin to gain major success in a foreign country. The obvious example, in comparison to Ms Madaan, is Nina Davuluri who earlier became Miss U.S.A.
Ms Davuluri's achievement drew several racist comments as well as strong appreciation. She is also quite an achiever in studies as she aspires to attend medical school and be a physician.
Another recent example of someone from Indian origin to claim the zenith of success in the West is Satya Nadella who recently became the new CEO of Microsoft. Mr Nadella was preferred over long time company executive Tony Bates. Bill Gates called him the future of the company.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate