University Student Wins Miss Canada, One More Indian Success Story in West
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 4, 2014 3:58 PM EST
Priya Madaan was just another university student from Windsor. However, everything changed when the 18-year-old was crowned Miss Canada 2014 on Saturday March 1.
Still can't believe I'm Miss Canada 2014!! pic.twitter.com/4OnIZcFgMs
— Miss Canada 2014 (@primadaana) March 2, 2014
According to her Facebook page, Ms Madaan is a Nursing student from Ontario. She happens to be a high achiever in academics. At the same time, she is actively involved as a volunteer in the Heart and Stroke Foundation as well as the Canadian World Education Foundation.
Her origin goes back to Punjab, a northern state in India. She is also a member of the South Asian student organisation, the Punjabi Students Association.
Ms Madaan's achievement came as surprise to her. She said that she was shocked to know that she had been chosen as Miss Canada 2014. She was chosen among 19 finalists who came from all over the country. She called it a "proud accomplishment" to win the crown as the primary criterion to choose one is one's personality.
The popular misconception is that beauty pageants are chosen only for their looks. The jury, on the other hand, is more interested in someone who has the potential to become a role model for her charisma, intelligence and passion for a cause, she claimed.
Ms Madaan is one more example of a person from Indian origin to gain major success in a foreign country. The obvious example, in comparison to Ms Madaan, is Nina Davuluri who earlier became Miss U.S.A.
Ms Davuluri's achievement drew several racist comments as well as strong appreciation. She is also quite an achiever in studies as she aspires to attend medical school and be a physician.
Another recent example of someone from Indian origin to claim the zenith of success in the West is Satya Nadella who recently became the new CEO of Microsoft. Mr Nadella was preferred over long time company executive Tony Bates. Bill Gates called him the future of the company.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown