Australia vs. South Africa – Day 3 Match Report
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 4, 2014 3:30 PM EST
The 3rd day of the 3rd Test Match between Australia vs. South Africa saw a major twist in the game when Australia led by Michael Clarke declared on 494 - 7 in the morning. South Africa came to bat and got bundled on 287 runs.
Australian Players celebrating after a dismissal
Australia started their batting for second innings and closed the day with 27 - 0 on the scoreboard. With this, Australia is now leading with 234 runs having all wickets intact and with two more days to go.
Right from the start of Day 3 of 1st Innings, South Africa is kept under constant pressure as Mitchell Johnson and Ryan Harris showed their caliber to restrict them from every possible angle leading to only 287 runs. Harris took 3 crucial wickets out of 22 overs while Johnson took 4 out of 19 overs. Harris is supposed to undergo knee surgery after the test. JL Pattinson also supported in this crucial day taking 3 wickets in 18.5 overs.
Australia started the 2nd innings, closing the day with 27 runs on board. Opener DA Warner is on 25 runs and CJL Rogers on 1 - Not Out.
Australia as compared to South Africa has shown consistency with their top batting lineup as we can clearly see their partnership hitting above 50 runs for five times in the first innings compared to South Africa.
The pitch, after a rainy day gave good support to the seamers as they found good bounce in the wicket. Petersen was hit on the on the arm from a fast delivery by Johnson. Styen also met a fearful bouncer from Johnson hitting right at his helmet.
At the beginning of the game, South Africa suffered the first blow when Graeme Smith was shown the way to pavilion by Harris for just 5 runs. With 42 - 2 on board, Petersen and Amla took hold of the stand trying to reinstate the balance.
Petersen was sensational all through the series as he added 53 runs with 8 boundaries in this innings bagging a quick half-century. Petersen was finally dismissed by Johnson. AB De Villiers also put a brilliant stand contributing 67 runs till he was caught by Warner, bowled by Johnson.
South Africa missed some real good opportunities which could have kept the visitors in a much more tight position. But the fielding of South Africa seemed inconsistent at times. Haddin missed a crucial opportunity hitting a sure stamp of De Villiars when he was at 30.
Australia is determined to clinch the Test Series and South Africa is still laggard trying to cope up with the crisis. In any case, South Africa has to show their batting skills in the 2nd innings to get back to the groove of the game.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
- Chelsea FC: Spanish NT Doctor Belies Mourinho's Claim That Diego Costa Aggravated Hamstring Injury
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists