Oscars 2014: Winners Hardly Ever Thank God in Acceptance Speeches
By Rachelle Corpuz | March 4, 2014 1:31 PM EST
In the history of the Oscars, the winners hardly every thank God in their acceptance speeches. In the recently concluded 86th Academy Awards, Dallas Buyers Club Best Actor Matthew McConaughey was the only one to thank his creator for the victory he snagged at the awards night.
"First, I want to thank God because that's who I look up to," said McConaughey.
"He's graced my life with opportunities that I know is not of my hand or any other human hand. He has shown me that it's a scientific fact that gratitude reciprocates. In the words of the late Charlie Lawton who said 'when you got God, you got a friend and that friend is you,'" he added.
Watch McConaughey's full acceptance speech below:
Video courtesy: YouTube/DailyBestVideos
Even God himself was delighted that McConaughey thanked him for his academy award. A parody Twitter account with the handle "The Tweet of God" tweeted and said, "Yes, you're welcome, Matthew" right after McConaughey's acceptance speech.
McConaughey's gesture of thanking God instead of a hotchpotch of his colleagues, managers, agents, publicists, and the likes, has sparked the social media. While some may be delighted with his acceptance speech, others weren't really pleased at all.
According to The Associated Press via the Daily Caller, in more than 750 acceptance speeches in the Academy Awards for the last three decades, the actors and actresses who won awards were more inclined to thank their families and agents rather than the creator. The family, such as the wives or husbands, parents, and children, were the first ones that the winner express thanks to and acknowledge during their acceptances speeches. The next ones in line that the winners thank were their respective handlers and agents, followed by their publicists.
Surprisingly, in the last three decades, God has only been thanked a total of 14 times, the Web site further reported. What is more, winners were more appreciative and thankful of Meryl Streep than the Almighty Creator.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Mariah Carey-Nick Cannon Divorce: Mariah Claims Infidelity, Nick's Affair With Amber Rose To Blame -- Report
- Taylor Swift And Harry Styles Spotted Together Enjoying A Concert; Songstress ‘Still Not Over’ 1D Singer—Reports
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 21 Spoilers: Nick Shocks His Family And Summer’s Past Gets Revealed
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video