Oscars 2014: Winners Hardly Ever Thank God in Acceptance Speeches
By Rachelle Corpuz | March 4, 2014 1:31 PM EST
In the history of the Oscars, the winners hardly every thank God in their acceptance speeches. In the recently concluded 86th Academy Awards, Dallas Buyers Club Best Actor Matthew McConaughey was the only one to thank his creator for the victory he snagged at the awards night.
"First, I want to thank God because that's who I look up to," said McConaughey.
"He's graced my life with opportunities that I know is not of my hand or any other human hand. He has shown me that it's a scientific fact that gratitude reciprocates. In the words of the late Charlie Lawton who said 'when you got God, you got a friend and that friend is you,'" he added.
Watch McConaughey's full acceptance speech below:
Video courtesy: YouTube/DailyBestVideos
Even God himself was delighted that McConaughey thanked him for his academy award. A parody Twitter account with the handle "The Tweet of God" tweeted and said, "Yes, you're welcome, Matthew" right after McConaughey's acceptance speech.
McConaughey's gesture of thanking God instead of a hotchpotch of his colleagues, managers, agents, publicists, and the likes, has sparked the social media. While some may be delighted with his acceptance speech, others weren't really pleased at all.
According to The Associated Press via the Daily Caller, in more than 750 acceptance speeches in the Academy Awards for the last three decades, the actors and actresses who won awards were more inclined to thank their families and agents rather than the creator. The family, such as the wives or husbands, parents, and children, were the first ones that the winner express thanks to and acknowledge during their acceptances speeches. The next ones in line that the winners thank were their respective handlers and agents, followed by their publicists.
Surprisingly, in the last three decades, God has only been thanked a total of 14 times, the Web site further reported. What is more, winners were more appreciative and thankful of Meryl Streep than the Almighty Creator.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers