Oscars 2014: Winners Hardly Ever Thank God in Acceptance Speeches
By Rachelle Corpuz | March 4, 2014 1:31 PM EST
In the history of the Oscars, the winners hardly every thank God in their acceptance speeches. In the recently concluded 86th Academy Awards, Dallas Buyers Club Best Actor Matthew McConaughey was the only one to thank his creator for the victory he snagged at the awards night.
"First, I want to thank God because that's who I look up to," said McConaughey.
"He's graced my life with opportunities that I know is not of my hand or any other human hand. He has shown me that it's a scientific fact that gratitude reciprocates. In the words of the late Charlie Lawton who said 'when you got God, you got a friend and that friend is you,'" he added.
Watch McConaughey's full acceptance speech below:
Video courtesy: YouTube/DailyBestVideos
Even God himself was delighted that McConaughey thanked him for his academy award. A parody Twitter account with the handle "The Tweet of God" tweeted and said, "Yes, you're welcome, Matthew" right after McConaughey's acceptance speech.
McConaughey's gesture of thanking God instead of a hotchpotch of his colleagues, managers, agents, publicists, and the likes, has sparked the social media. While some may be delighted with his acceptance speech, others weren't really pleased at all.
According to The Associated Press via the Daily Caller, in more than 750 acceptance speeches in the Academy Awards for the last three decades, the actors and actresses who won awards were more inclined to thank their families and agents rather than the creator. The family, such as the wives or husbands, parents, and children, were the first ones that the winner express thanks to and acknowledge during their acceptances speeches. The next ones in line that the winners thank were their respective handlers and agents, followed by their publicists.
Surprisingly, in the last three decades, God has only been thanked a total of 14 times, the Web site further reported. What is more, winners were more appreciative and thankful of Meryl Streep than the Almighty Creator.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation