Canadian Homeless Feel Brunt of Record Breaking Cold
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 4, 2014 1:29 PM EST
Canada's homeless are feeling more the brunt of the country's record-breaking cold weather and may have to cramp it out with others at local shelters at least until May.
CBC/Radio-Canada reported that Salvation Army, one of the local shelters in Hamilton, has opened its doors even to those who had misbehaved in the past. Not only that, the shelter this time even offered mattresses so people can still manage to sleep comfortably as the cold seeps through the hard pavement floors way into their backs.
Homeless men sleep by the entrance of a metro station in central Athens January 21, 2013 (Photo: Reuters)
"The high winds were too much even for those who prefer to be on the street," Robert Ward from Salvation Army said.
The scenario at local shelters seem to last until May as Environment Canada has advised citizens to brace for more colder than normal temperatures for March and much of April.
On Monday, the Niagara Region Public Health and Lambton Public Health both issued a cold weather alert to respective citizens.
They urged residents to dress in layers and shield exposed areas from the wind such as head, neck and face. They also warned to limit the time spent outdoors to avoid frostbite and hypothermia during a cold weather alert.
"Even brief stretches of time spent outdoors can cause damage to exposed skin," Iqbal Kalsi, environmental health manager at the Middlesex-London Health Unit (MLHU), said.
Most at risk during extreme cold are the homeless, outdoor workers, infants under age one, adults 65 years of age or older, sport enthusiasts as well as people residing in poorly insulated homes.
"The weather we've experienced so far in 2014 has provided a chilling reminder of the dangers of winter weather and that we can't underestimate the negative health effects it can cause," Mr Kalsi said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying