2014 Forbes List of Wealthiest People: New Zealand's Graeme Hart Moves Up; Bill Gates at the Top Once Again
By Reissa Su | March 4, 2014 1:13 PM EST
Graeme Hart, New Zealand's wealthiest man, has moved up the Forbes list of the world's richest people after adding $2 billion to his net worth in 2013. According to the Herald, Forbes announced the new ranking of the Kiwi billionaire overnight.
Mr Hart's new net worth is estimated to be US$7 billion or NZ$8.36 billion after his global packaging company, Reynolds Group Holdings, has amassed several acquisitions. The international empire is now estimated to generate annual revenues of $14 billion. The richest New Zealander is also the owner of Carter Holt Harvey.
Meanwhile, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates is back on top of the list as the world's richest man after overtaking the Mexican telecom tycoon, Carlos Slim Helu. In Mr Gates' 4-year hiatus, Mr Helu topped the Forbes list in the past four years. Mr Gates has been on top of the list in 15 of the past 20 years.
Mr Gates has an estimated worth of US$76 billion followed by Mr Helu in the second place at 72 billion. Maintaining third place is Amancio Ortega, the owner of popular Zara retail chain. He is ahead of billionaire investor Warren Buffet who is in fourth overall while Larry Ellison of Oracle ranked fifth in Forbes wealthiest people list.
According to Forbes, there were 1,645 billionaires who made it to the 2014 list with an average worth of $4.7 billion. More people became richer in 2014 compared to 1,426 billionaires in 2013. Total net worth has also increased to $6.4 trillion from $5.4 trillion in 2013.
Forbes' 28th annual list of richest people had over 10 per cent of women with Christy Walton, heiress of Wal-Mart Stores Inc, the highest-ranking female at ninth place overall.
Tech company founders were also well-represented with Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Berin leading the pack at 17th and 19th place while Amazon's Jeff Bezos ranked 18th place on the list.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]