2014 Forbes List of Wealthiest People: New Zealand's Graeme Hart Moves Up; Bill Gates at the Top Once Again
By Reissa Su | March 4, 2014 1:13 PM EST
Graeme Hart, New Zealand's wealthiest man, has moved up the Forbes list of the world's richest people after adding $2 billion to his net worth in 2013. According to the Herald, Forbes announced the new ranking of the Kiwi billionaire overnight.
Mr Hart's new net worth is estimated to be US$7 billion or NZ$8.36 billion after his global packaging company, Reynolds Group Holdings, has amassed several acquisitions. The international empire is now estimated to generate annual revenues of $14 billion. The richest New Zealander is also the owner of Carter Holt Harvey.
Meanwhile, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates is back on top of the list as the world's richest man after overtaking the Mexican telecom tycoon, Carlos Slim Helu. In Mr Gates' 4-year hiatus, Mr Helu topped the Forbes list in the past four years. Mr Gates has been on top of the list in 15 of the past 20 years.
Mr Gates has an estimated worth of US$76 billion followed by Mr Helu in the second place at 72 billion. Maintaining third place is Amancio Ortega, the owner of popular Zara retail chain. He is ahead of billionaire investor Warren Buffet who is in fourth overall while Larry Ellison of Oracle ranked fifth in Forbes wealthiest people list.
According to Forbes, there were 1,645 billionaires who made it to the 2014 list with an average worth of $4.7 billion. More people became richer in 2014 compared to 1,426 billionaires in 2013. Total net worth has also increased to $6.4 trillion from $5.4 trillion in 2013.
Forbes' 28th annual list of richest people had over 10 per cent of women with Christy Walton, heiress of Wal-Mart Stores Inc, the highest-ranking female at ninth place overall.
Tech company founders were also well-represented with Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Berin leading the pack at 17th and 19th place while Amazon's Jeff Bezos ranked 18th place on the list.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Centerplate CEO Des Hague Caught Abusing Dog In Vancouver Building Elevator [VIDEO]
- Boyfriend's Welcome Home Tribute In Candles Destroys His House
- 'Boob Aid': Japanese Porn Stars 'Excited' For 24HR Breasts Squeezing Charity
- The Most Insane Facts About The American Civil War That You May Not Know
- Viral Video Kevin Droniak Grandma: Teenager Shows Grandma Their Videos Together, Grandma Gives Priceless Reaction
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps