2014 Forbes List of Wealthiest People: New Zealand's Graeme Hart Moves Up; Bill Gates at the Top Once Again
By Reissa Su | March 4, 2014 1:13 PM EST
Graeme Hart, New Zealand's wealthiest man, has moved up the Forbes list of the world's richest people after adding $2 billion to his net worth in 2013. According to the Herald, Forbes announced the new ranking of the Kiwi billionaire overnight.
Mr Hart's new net worth is estimated to be US$7 billion or NZ$8.36 billion after his global packaging company, Reynolds Group Holdings, has amassed several acquisitions. The international empire is now estimated to generate annual revenues of $14 billion. The richest New Zealander is also the owner of Carter Holt Harvey.
Meanwhile, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates is back on top of the list as the world's richest man after overtaking the Mexican telecom tycoon, Carlos Slim Helu. In Mr Gates' 4-year hiatus, Mr Helu topped the Forbes list in the past four years. Mr Gates has been on top of the list in 15 of the past 20 years.
Mr Gates has an estimated worth of US$76 billion followed by Mr Helu in the second place at 72 billion. Maintaining third place is Amancio Ortega, the owner of popular Zara retail chain. He is ahead of billionaire investor Warren Buffet who is in fourth overall while Larry Ellison of Oracle ranked fifth in Forbes wealthiest people list.
According to Forbes, there were 1,645 billionaires who made it to the 2014 list with an average worth of $4.7 billion. More people became richer in 2014 compared to 1,426 billionaires in 2013. Total net worth has also increased to $6.4 trillion from $5.4 trillion in 2013.
Forbes' 28th annual list of richest people had over 10 per cent of women with Christy Walton, heiress of Wal-Mart Stores Inc, the highest-ranking female at ninth place overall.
Tech company founders were also well-represented with Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Berin leading the pack at 17th and 19th place while Amazon's Jeff Bezos ranked 18th place on the list.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers