2014 Forbes List of Wealthiest People: New Zealand's Graeme Hart Moves Up; Bill Gates at the Top Once Again
By Reissa Su | March 4, 2014 1:13 PM EST
Graeme Hart, New Zealand's wealthiest man, has moved up the Forbes list of the world's richest people after adding $2 billion to his net worth in 2013. According to the Herald, Forbes announced the new ranking of the Kiwi billionaire overnight.
Mr Hart's new net worth is estimated to be US$7 billion or NZ$8.36 billion after his global packaging company, Reynolds Group Holdings, has amassed several acquisitions. The international empire is now estimated to generate annual revenues of $14 billion. The richest New Zealander is also the owner of Carter Holt Harvey.
Meanwhile, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates is back on top of the list as the world's richest man after overtaking the Mexican telecom tycoon, Carlos Slim Helu. In Mr Gates' 4-year hiatus, Mr Helu topped the Forbes list in the past four years. Mr Gates has been on top of the list in 15 of the past 20 years.
Mr Gates has an estimated worth of US$76 billion followed by Mr Helu in the second place at 72 billion. Maintaining third place is Amancio Ortega, the owner of popular Zara retail chain. He is ahead of billionaire investor Warren Buffet who is in fourth overall while Larry Ellison of Oracle ranked fifth in Forbes wealthiest people list.
According to Forbes, there were 1,645 billionaires who made it to the 2014 list with an average worth of $4.7 billion. More people became richer in 2014 compared to 1,426 billionaires in 2013. Total net worth has also increased to $6.4 trillion from $5.4 trillion in 2013.
Forbes' 28th annual list of richest people had over 10 per cent of women with Christy Walton, heiress of Wal-Mart Stores Inc, the highest-ranking female at ninth place overall.
Tech company founders were also well-represented with Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Berin leading the pack at 17th and 19th place while Amazon's Jeff Bezos ranked 18th place on the list.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates