Pope Francis Mixes Up Italian Blessing, Drops F-Bomb Word
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 4, 2014 12:58 PM EST
Pope Francis has inadvertently uttered an Italian F-bomb on his weekly blessing address from the Vatican.
The 77-year old Argentinean pope, who speaks fluent Spanish but has humbly admitted his Italian still has a lot of improvements to make, had been urging in his Sunday sermon for a peaceful solution to the crisis in the Ukraine. He had meant to say the Italian word "caso" (example), but instead uttered the word cazzo, which can translate to "f--k."
Pope Francis holds a gift from children during his pastoral visit at the Saint Tommaso parish in the outskirts of Rome February 16, 2014. REUTERS/Remo Casilli
"It is my wish that all the components of the country will endeavor to overcome misunderstandings and build together the future of the nation," he said from the window of his apartment at the Vatican's Apostolic Palace.
"I make a heartfelt appeal to the international community to support every initiative on behalf of dialogue and harmony. A heart full of longing for possession is a heart empty of God."
And then came the bomb.
"For this, Jesus many times chastised the rich because the risk for them to seek security in the wealth of this world is high. In this f***, in this case the providence of God is made visible as gesture of solidarity."
Pope Francis knew he had made a mistake because he paused during his speech and immediately corrected himself.
His tongue slip was immediately uploaded on YouTube and went viral. But global netizens just laughed off the unfortunate incident that tangled up the supreme pontiff of the Roman Catholic church.
"Just a Freudian slip. And he totally realized it, because he caught himself 'cazzo, NO, caso.' Because he DOES know enough Italian to know better. That's how you know it was a Freudian slip and not a lack of fluency in the language. That's what made it so awkward. The words sound very different: The pronunciation difference is the same as saying 'pizza' instead of 'Pisa' as in the tower, so I'm sure the Italians had a good chuckle," Kelly Craig Walling commented on YouTube.
"Honest mistake, get a life," Peter Picciolini said.
"Everybody does this sometimes," XplaneZ said.
"Everyone falls foul of a freudian slip! it Ain't no big thang! LOL!" Natalie231065 said.
Then again, the Holy Father may have inadvertently spoken an indecent word, but who gets to administer his confession rites now? We wonder.
Watch the blunder here:
Video Source: YouTube/Fanms2
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate