Python Wins Fight Against Crocodile in Australia, Swallows Dead Croc Face-First
By Reissa Su | March 4, 2014 12:55 PM EST
A crocodile was no match for a snake in Australia. Apparently, size does not matter as the snake emerged the winner in a lengthy battle against the larger reptile in Northern Queensland. The snake overpowered the croc after tackling and constricting its body.
Residents look at a 21-feet (6.4 metres) saltwater crocodile, which is suspected of having attacked several people, after it was caught in Nueva Era in Bunawan town, Agusan del Sur, southern Philippines September 4, 2011. The crocodile captured on Sunday evening weighs more than 1000 kg and is the largest crocodile caught in the country to date, according to the Palawan Wildlife Rescue and Conservation Center. Picture taken September 4, 2011.
The battle between the snake and the crocodile at Lake Moondarra near Mount Isa was caught on camera by the locals, according to a BBC report. The snake measured approximately 10 feet and was believed to be a python.
Locals saw how the snake coiled itself around the crocodile as both creatures struggled in the water. When the crocodile finally succumbed to its death, the snake dragged its body back to land and began to eat it. The onlookers were surprised to see the snake eating the crocodile.
Local author Tiffany Corlis saw the entire incident and took photographs of the two animals battling it out. Her photos have been widely used by Australian news agencies. Ms Corlis told BBC what she saw near the lake.
She said the fight between the snake and the crocodile began in the water. Ms Corlis saw the crocodile trying to hold its head on the surface but the snake was still constricting its body. When the snake finally overpowered the crocodile, it dragged the dead body on land. She was amazed to see the snake eat the crocodile face-first.
It took the snake around 15 minutes to finish swallowing the crocodile based on the locals' estimates. The snake looked "full" after that.
According to experts, pythons can kill their prey by tightening their body or "coils" around the animal as it exhales. As the snake tightens its hold, its prey will die from suffocation or heart failure. Most snakes can swallow prey even if it's five times their size due to flexible jaws.
In 2012, a study published in Biology, a Royal Society journal, revealed that snakes have the ability to sense another animal's heartbeat. They know when to stop constricting thereby using only the necessary amount of energy.
Just a snake eating a crocodile... pic.twitter.com/TOLkXS75Pb
— iTweetFacts™ (@iTweetFacts) March 4, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown