Extremist Group More Brutal Than Al-Qaeda Gets French, Danish and Other Nationals Onboard
By Johnlee Varghese | March 3, 2014 11:17 PM EST
Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) - a militant group whose methods are seen too violent and extreme even for Al Qaeda - seems to be pulling in foreign nationals in its armed struggle. In a recent photo leak, released by ISIS sources, a French family is shown as a part of the ISIS; but that's just the tip of the iceberg.
ISIS, termed as an armed terrorist group, has a significant presence in both Iraq and Syria and is a hardcore fundamentalist group that has a strong hold in northern Syria. And the towns under its control have to adhere by strict Sharia law.
— Zaid Benjamin (@zaidbenjamin) March 3, 2014
While the news that even French nationals may be a part of the ISIS is certainly discomforting, they are not alone. Several European, including Belgian, Danish and the UK, nationals are also part of the terrorist group. BBC states that there are over 11,000 foreign nationals fighting along with the terrorist groups in Syria.
Picture of Danish #ISIS fighter reportedly killed in #Iraq. 1/3. pic.twitter.com/stdKmOkuJZ — Guy Van Vlierden (@GuyVanVlierden) March 3, 2014
What is more startling is the fact that nationals from Saudi Arabia, Chechnya, Europe and Iraq have been able to enter the country, and many were able to avoid detection from their respective governments.
"Most do their best to stay off the radar, and that's especially true of the ones who hope to return home without being arrested by wary authorities," Mike Giglio notes in an article in Assyrian International News Agency.
What is more worrisome is that the ISIS is turning out to be the key recruiter. Giglio reveals that the foreign fighters are joining the ISIS, the al-Qaeda-inspired faction known for kidnapping western aid workers and journalists, and imposing a reign of terror on residents in the areas it control.
In a recent act of their violent stance, the group posted live tweets of the punishment to man who was caught stealing. The group posted pictures of the man getting his hand chopped off. (watch video here)
While the larger question is, "where will the foreign nationals aiding the terror groups go, once the war is over?"
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar