‘True Detective’ Season 1 Finale: How Will Matthew McConaughey Starrer End?
By Keerthi Mohan | March 3, 2014 10:51 PM EST
The previous episode of HBO’s detective drama “True Detective” saw Marty Hart (Woody Harrelson) and Rust Cohle (Matthew McConaughey) coming together after nearly a decade with the purpose of putting an end to unfinished business.
But the past is something they cannot evade and the upcoming episode, “Form And Void,” will provide Marty and Rust with new leads in their 17-year-old murder investigation.
Speculations are rife on how “True Detective” will end, and a number of fans speculate that Rust will be shown as the killer.
Doubts were first cast on Rust after viewers noticed that he gave two different accounts of how his daughter died. Rust tells Marty that she was involved in a car accident, and on another occasion he trails off after telling detectives Gilbough and Papania that she was riding a tricycle.
Does his daughter’s murder have something to do with Yellow King, the ringleader of the gang responsible for the murder of women and girls across Louisiana? And more importantly, is Rust the Yellow King?
A Wired.com article on the detective drama notes that Rust being the killer is a popular theory that has been doing the rounds for a while now. The report said that Rust has the ability to think like a killer and that he is capable of deception.
But Rust might still not know that he himself is the killer as his mind is addled by years of drug abuse, and his stint in a mental institution does not put him in a good light.
Another evidence against Rust is the suicide of the pharmacy shooter, the only one who came close to identifying the Yellow King. The pharmacy shooter committed suicide after receiving a phone call and speculations are rife that the call was made by Rust.
Meanwhile, McConaughey announced after winning the best actor Academy Award on Sunday that he will not be returning to the show for a second season.
"I won't be back for season two. Season one was finite," he told reporters, and fans were quick to assume that it might be because McConaughey’s character will be shown as being the killer.
But speculations that Rust might be the killer has been shot down by “True Detective” writer Nic Pizzolatto, who told The Daily Beast that both Rust and Marty are honest cops who are heroes.
“I think they’re both actually heroic in the sense that they’re not corrupt men,” Pizzolatto. “They’re doing their job well. They’re honest cops. There are moments throughout the series where they could let the case go, but they don’t. So they may not be moral exemplars, but I do think they’re heroes. If the average person thinks that in similar situations he could behave with courage equal to Cohle and Hart, great—I guess you’re a hero, too.”
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Mariah Carey-Nick Cannon Divorce: Mariah Claims Infidelity, Nick's Affair With Amber Rose To Blame -- Report
- Taylor Swift And Harry Styles Spotted Together Enjoying A Concert; Songstress ‘Still Not Over’ 1D Singer—Reports
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 21 Spoilers: Nick Shocks His Family And Summer’s Past Gets Revealed
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef