‘True Detective’ Season 1 Finale: How Will Matthew McConaughey Starrer End?
By Keerthi Mohan | March 3, 2014 10:51 PM EST
The previous episode of HBO’s detective drama “True Detective” saw Marty Hart (Woody Harrelson) and Rust Cohle (Matthew McConaughey) coming together after nearly a decade with the purpose of putting an end to unfinished business.
But the past is something they cannot evade and the upcoming episode, “Form And Void,” will provide Marty and Rust with new leads in their 17-year-old murder investigation.
Speculations are rife on how “True Detective” will end, and a number of fans speculate that Rust will be shown as the killer.
Doubts were first cast on Rust after viewers noticed that he gave two different accounts of how his daughter died. Rust tells Marty that she was involved in a car accident, and on another occasion he trails off after telling detectives Gilbough and Papania that she was riding a tricycle.
Does his daughter’s murder have something to do with Yellow King, the ringleader of the gang responsible for the murder of women and girls across Louisiana? And more importantly, is Rust the Yellow King?
A Wired.com article on the detective drama notes that Rust being the killer is a popular theory that has been doing the rounds for a while now. The report said that Rust has the ability to think like a killer and that he is capable of deception.
But Rust might still not know that he himself is the killer as his mind is addled by years of drug abuse, and his stint in a mental institution does not put him in a good light.
Another evidence against Rust is the suicide of the pharmacy shooter, the only one who came close to identifying the Yellow King. The pharmacy shooter committed suicide after receiving a phone call and speculations are rife that the call was made by Rust.
Meanwhile, McConaughey announced after winning the best actor Academy Award on Sunday that he will not be returning to the show for a second season.
"I won't be back for season two. Season one was finite," he told reporters, and fans were quick to assume that it might be because McConaughey’s character will be shown as being the killer.
But speculations that Rust might be the killer has been shot down by “True Detective” writer Nic Pizzolatto, who told The Daily Beast that both Rust and Marty are honest cops who are heroes.
“I think they’re both actually heroic in the sense that they’re not corrupt men,” Pizzolatto. “They’re doing their job well. They’re honest cops. There are moments throughout the series where they could let the case go, but they don’t. So they may not be moral exemplars, but I do think they’re heroes. If the average person thinks that in similar situations he could behave with courage equal to Cohle and Hart, great—I guess you’re a hero, too.”
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?