If Oscar Pistorius’ Story Was a Film, Would it Win Oscars 2014’s Best Picture?
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 3, 2014 10:31 PM EST
Monday has been a very curious day during which two kinds of 'Oscar's were taking the Internet with unprecedented storm: Oscars 2014 and Oscar Pistorius Trial 2014.
Oscar Pistorius with Reeva Steenkamp. Here is a hypothetical take on whether the Oscar Pistorius saga would have won Oscars 2014's Best Picture if the story appeared in theaters instead of news channels.
As the event on the dampened red carpet came to an end; there was another event that grabbed major international attention - which too had the 'Oscar' namesake by a strange coincidence.
A situation of this kind often lets us image things of cryptic permutations and combinations. One such distant thought that strikes our mind is, "What if the entire story of this man call Oscar Pistorius was a movie?"
Going by the plot, however, the story looks like a blockbuster magnum opus that no Hollywood movie could actually match. It is sensational, thrilling, filled with emotional appeal, has had a couple of shocking scenes - and you know what? The movie has just arrived at one of its climax points.
Let's take it from the beginning.
Oscar Pistorius had his lower legs amputated when he was 11, having been born without fibula in either leg. His parents thought that if the amputation was done before he had learned to walk, it would be less traumatic, reports suggest.
In June 2003, he injured his knee playing rugby and on the advice of medical practitioners, he took up track running to help him in his rehabilitation. That saw a new interest downing upon the man who had no legs. Despite all odds, the gallant hero of this spectacular 'film' lost no hope.
The world saw a miracle of sorts unfolding, as a history was made in London 2012 Summer Olympic Games. Pistorius became the first amputee sprinter to compete in the Olympics after winning legal battle.
He has won six Paralympic gold medals, including three at the Beijing Games.
As everything in his life seemed to go just in the right track; a thrilling and suspenseful twist that took place on the Valentine's Day of 2013 changed everything.
His girlfriend Model Reeva Steenkamp was found dead inside the bathroom of Pistorius' Pretoria home.
The 27-year old has not denied shooting Steenkamp, but has always defended himself by saying he mistook her for a burglar. He has denied charges of murder. Meanwhile, the prosecutors have said that he knew Steenkamp was inside the bathroom and that he deliberately shot her.
Now the hypothetical movie has almost reached to the end, as a judge in Pretoria High Court will decide whether he is guilty of deliberately shooting his girlfriend or whether there is any truth on his claim that he mistook her for a dangerous intruder.
This film is not close to "12 Years a Slave" that won the best picture on Sunday's Oscars. The Oscar winner was but a 'reel' film, and this one is 'real'.
So the question persists; If you had watched the Pistorius Saga in theaters instead of the news channels, do you think it would have potentially won the best picture in the 86th Academy Awards?
Also Read: Oscar Pistorius Trial 2014 Where to Watch
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 'Sylvester Stallone Dies In Horrible Car Accident’ Death Hoax Goes Viral
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoiler: Revelation Of Reason Why Penny, Leonard ‘Not’ Getting Married Soon
- 'The Bachelorette' Update: Andi Dorfman And Josh Murray To Setup Career In Hollywood- Reports
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett to Rediscover Nathan Fillion's Rick Castle; 'Derrick Storm' Coming to ABC [VIDEO]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 26, 2014: Past Mistakes, Betrayals And Confrontations In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza