China Creates World's Thinnest Condom
By Parismita Goswami | March 3, 2014 9:33 PM EST
A Chinese company has reportedly developed the world's thinnest condom, thereby making its way to set a new record in the Guinness World Record.
China Creates World's Thinnest Condom (Representational Image)
The ultra-slim condom has been manufactured by a China-based company, Guangzhou Daming United Rubber Products that develops about 200 million condoms yearly.
The condom named Aoni, measures just 0.0014 inch in thickness (0.036 millimeters) thus beating the previous record of Okamoto, a condom created by Japanese company, according to Live Science.
At present, the Aoni is available only in Asian countries but its developers' hope to introduce it in North American markets too. Victor Chan, the lead in the Aoni project claims that the process of designing the ultra-thin and durable condom was quite challenging.
"It was quite tricky. It took a lot of work to arrange the right mix and fine-tune the ingredients to give us the right performance", Chan said.
In recent times, novelty in condom technology has grabbed a lot of interest. The main aim behind such innovations is to encourage men in using them more often, which in turn will help minimize the rate of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and unexpected pregnancies.
In another project, researchers at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville are trying to use superelastomers, a stretchy material that makes condom thinner. In a similar project, scientists at the University of Manchester are combining latex with graphene, which is a form of carbon that produces stronger, thinner condoms with more elasticity.
Both the projects have been funded with $100,000 from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Artificial Micro-Humans to Replace Animals in Lab Tests: 90 Million Animal Lives Would be Saved
- Images Of Solar Flare Captured By NASA [Watch Video]
- Volatile Volcanoes Are Waking Up
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display