M&M Registers 12 Percent Decline in Sales in February
By greeshma m | March 3, 2014 8:33 PM EST
Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd registered a 12 percent dip in vehicle sales for the month of February as against sales in the same period a year ago.
A worker cleans a logo of Mahindra & Mahindra, India's largest utility vehicles maker, inside their showroom in the southern Indian city of Chennai April 12, 2011.
M&M has sold 42,166 units in February, against the 47,824 units the corresponding month last year. Its domestic sales witnessed a decline of 11 per cent in February 2014 to 39,338 units over February 2013 sales.
The passenger car segment including the UVs and Verito recorded a fall of 18 percent to 23,421 units in February 2013. The four-wheeler commercial vehicle segment marked a fall of 3 percent to 14,701 units while three-wheeler sales declined 2 percent to 4,724 units in February 2014 as against the sales in last year.
After the announcement, shares of M&M dropped by 0.67% to Rs 966.95 at 9:32 IST on BSE from the previous close.
Pravin Shah, Chief Executive, Automotive Division, M&M told Business Standard: "The Auto industry has received the much needed boost in terms of an excise duty reduction and this has resulted in higher enquiries over the last one week. The recently concluded Auto Expo has also been a success which will only help in generating demand. At Mahindra we are hopeful that these positive initiative would be the beginning of a gradual upswing for the auto industry, as we move into the next financial year".
Bajaj Auto also posted a decline of 6 percent in domestic sales for February 2014.The Company sold a total of 273,323 motorcycles as against the 291,297 units last year.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install