Ben Gordon Cut by Charlotte, Ineligible for Playoffs; Unprofessional Move by the Bobcats?
By James Patrick Quizon | March 3, 2014 7:51 PM EST
The Charlotte Bobcats waived Ben Gordon on Sunday and some quarters are complaining that the franchise was being unprofessional as they decided to cut the veteran past the deadline of players wishing to be eligible for the postseason.
NBA: Charlotte Bobcats at San Antonio Spurs
“With the recent acquisition of additional backcourt depth to our roster, we believe this is in the best interests of both parties,” Rod Higgins, Charlotte’s president of basketball operations said in an official statement.
“We want to thank Ben for his contributions over the past two seasons and wish him the best as he moves on in his career.”
The 30-year-old shooting guard played in only 19 games for the Bobcats this season averaging 5.2 points and 34.3 per cent from the field.
Gordon is on the final year of his deal worth $13.2 million. The team worked out a contract buyout with the veteran but couldn’t agree on a deal reportedly because Gordon wanted more money.
Charlotte did not have a choice but cut him after the deadline probably thinking that Gordon could sign with an rival East team and help them out in the playoff run.
The Michael Jordan-owned Bobcats are currently at 7th place in the weak Eastern Conference with a 27-32 win-loss card.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- A Mother Of Two Dies While Undergoing Stem Cell Treatment
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Human Guinea Pigs for Google Health Projects