Ben Gordon Cut by Charlotte, Ineligible for Playoffs; Unprofessional Move by the Bobcats?
By James Patrick Quizon | March 3, 2014 7:51 PM EST
The Charlotte Bobcats waived Ben Gordon on Sunday and some quarters are complaining that the franchise was being unprofessional as they decided to cut the veteran past the deadline of players wishing to be eligible for the postseason.
NBA: Charlotte Bobcats at San Antonio Spurs
“With the recent acquisition of additional backcourt depth to our roster, we believe this is in the best interests of both parties,” Rod Higgins, Charlotte’s president of basketball operations said in an official statement.
“We want to thank Ben for his contributions over the past two seasons and wish him the best as he moves on in his career.”
The 30-year-old shooting guard played in only 19 games for the Bobcats this season averaging 5.2 points and 34.3 per cent from the field.
Gordon is on the final year of his deal worth $13.2 million. The team worked out a contract buyout with the veteran but couldn’t agree on a deal reportedly because Gordon wanted more money.
Charlotte did not have a choice but cut him after the deadline probably thinking that Gordon could sign with an rival East team and help them out in the playoff run.
The Michael Jordan-owned Bobcats are currently at 7th place in the weak Eastern Conference with a 27-32 win-loss card.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Crowned as Most Popular Personality in Spain
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales