Nokia X, X+ and XL: How to Gain Root Access and Install Google Play Store Service
By Ryan Inoyori | March 3, 2014 6:42 PM EST
Nokia X smartphones run Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Nokia X software platform and can use various Android apps and games. But for those who want to view lists from the Play Store, here are the steps to install the Android store and download apps from it to the Nokia X device.
- Nokia X smartphones only: X, X+ or XL.
- Create a manual backup of all personal and data files stored on the Nokia X smartphone. Don't use any automatic or other backup software on a computer.
- Make sure that the battery level is at least 50 per cent before performing any installation.
- Enable USB debugging on the device. Go to Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging.
- Users need to root their Nokia X device. Click here to download the Gandalf Exploit with Framaroot app.
- Download a Root explorer app on the Nokia X smartphone. Users may use other file managing apps.
- Download the Google Apps for Nokia X devices.
Warning: IBT Media is not responsible for any damages or errors which may occur on your Nokia X smartphones. Follow the instructions carefully to avoid damaging your device. Do this at your own risk.
- Unzip Google Apps package downloaded earlier to get the APK installer files.
- Connect the Nokia X device to a computer using a USB cable.
- Copy the rooting APK and all APK files from Google Apps package to the Nokia X root storage.
- Go to the Nokia X smartphone, use the file explorer app and then go to where the APK files were placed.
- Now tap the rooting APK file to gain root access on the Nokia X device. Follow the instructions when prompted.
- Copy the Google Apps APK files to "/system/app" using the file explorer app and change permissions for the files in the device.
- Reboot the Nokia X smartphone.
- Launch the file explorer app and then go to the root storage and install all Google Apps package APK files normally.
- Launch the Google Play Store and confirm Google Account details.
Well done! The Nokia X smartphone can now access both Nokia app store and Google Play Store to get all Android goodies.
Users having issues with the installation may send their feedback to the XDA developer original thread.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xbox’s September Games with Gold Features Halo Reach As Halo 5: Guardians And Master Chief Collection Get Details
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates From Devs Plus More On Minecraft On The Xbox Platform
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ Delayed To November As ‘Rogue’ Gets More Story Details
- ‘Destiny’ Updates: Devs Talk About Raids and ‘Destiny’ Preorder And Preloading
- ‘GTA 5’ Online Updates Radio For PS4, Xbox One As Rockstar Brings Allies For New Sale
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How