Nokia X, X+ and XL: How to Gain Root Access and Install Google Play Store Service
By Ryan Inoyori | March 3, 2014 6:42 PM EST
Nokia X smartphones run Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Nokia X software platform and can use various Android apps and games. But for those who want to view lists from the Play Store, here are the steps to install the Android store and download apps from it to the Nokia X device.
- Nokia X smartphones only: X, X+ or XL.
- Create a manual backup of all personal and data files stored on the Nokia X smartphone. Don't use any automatic or other backup software on a computer.
- Make sure that the battery level is at least 50 per cent before performing any installation.
- Enable USB debugging on the device. Go to Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging.
- Users need to root their Nokia X device. Click here to download the Gandalf Exploit with Framaroot app.
- Download a Root explorer app on the Nokia X smartphone. Users may use other file managing apps.
- Download the Google Apps for Nokia X devices.
Warning: IBT Media is not responsible for any damages or errors which may occur on your Nokia X smartphones. Follow the instructions carefully to avoid damaging your device. Do this at your own risk.
- Unzip Google Apps package downloaded earlier to get the APK installer files.
- Connect the Nokia X device to a computer using a USB cable.
- Copy the rooting APK and all APK files from Google Apps package to the Nokia X root storage.
- Go to the Nokia X smartphone, use the file explorer app and then go to where the APK files were placed.
- Now tap the rooting APK file to gain root access on the Nokia X device. Follow the instructions when prompted.
- Copy the Google Apps APK files to "/system/app" using the file explorer app and change permissions for the files in the device.
- Reboot the Nokia X smartphone.
- Launch the file explorer app and then go to the root storage and install all Google Apps package APK files normally.
- Launch the Google Play Store and confirm Google Account details.
Well done! The Nokia X smartphone can now access both Nokia app store and Google Play Store to get all Android goodies.
Users having issues with the installation may send their feedback to the XDA developer original thread.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- More ‘FIFA 15’ Issues Found in Companion App And Luis Suarez Ban; A PS4 Physical Disc Bundle Spotted
- Get Invite Codes to Ello the Social Networking Site That Is Viral On the Internet
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Demo Distribution Method For Australia Revealed, More Info Coming
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’: New Trailer Shows Off Customisation As Rogue PC Version Gets Spotted In UPlay
- 'Super Smash Bros' For Nintendo 3DS XL Can Hamper Gaming Experience Due To More Resistant Circle Pad
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate