‘Blackest Day For Australian Sport’ - Overdramatic Says PM Abbott
By Athena Yenko | March 3, 2014 6:24 PM EST
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has slammed Labor saying it blackened the reputation of the Australian sport during an "overdramatic" media conference.
Back in Feb 7, 2013, Former Australian Sports Anti-Doping Agency (ASADA) Chief Richard Ings declared that "This is not a black day Australian sport, this is the blackest day for Australian sport."
The declaration was made after Kate Lundy and Justice Minister Jason Clare's media conference where they presented report from the Australian Crime Commission (ACC) alledging that athletes were using banned drug and had links to organized crimes.
Highlights Of the ACC Report
- Use of prohibited substances, including peptides, hormones and illicit drugs, is widespread among professional athletes.
- ACC said no code is immune from the scandal.
- Players are being administered with drugs not yet approved for human use.
- Doping is being run by sports scientists, coaches, support staff, doctors and pharmacists.
- Organized crime is involved in distributing drugs and, in one possible case, match-fixing.
- ASADA will get new powers to conduct a "full and unhindered investigation."
On March 3, Abbott said the media conference was "overdramatic" and that the day has blackened the reputation of Australian sport.
He was asked if a speedy resolution should be made for those athletes whose reputation remained questionable after the anti-doping investigations into the NRL and AFL.
The prime minister did not give a clear response to the question. Instead, he attacked Labor for putting Australian sports in a bad light.
"I think it is unfortunate that the reputation of Australian sport has been blackened as a result of that rather overdramatic announcement here in Canberra about a year ago. Australian sport by and large is clean and fair. I think it is unfortunate that the reputation of Australian sports people generally was impacted," Abbott said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices