‘Blackest Day For Australian Sport’ - Overdramatic Says PM Abbott
By Athena Yenko | March 3, 2014 6:24 PM EST
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has slammed Labor saying it blackened the reputation of the Australian sport during an "overdramatic" media conference.
Back in Feb 7, 2013, Former Australian Sports Anti-Doping Agency (ASADA) Chief Richard Ings declared that "This is not a black day Australian sport, this is the blackest day for Australian sport."
The declaration was made after Kate Lundy and Justice Minister Jason Clare's media conference where they presented report from the Australian Crime Commission (ACC) alledging that athletes were using banned drug and had links to organized crimes.
Highlights Of the ACC Report
- Use of prohibited substances, including peptides, hormones and illicit drugs, is widespread among professional athletes.
- ACC said no code is immune from the scandal.
- Players are being administered with drugs not yet approved for human use.
- Doping is being run by sports scientists, coaches, support staff, doctors and pharmacists.
- Organized crime is involved in distributing drugs and, in one possible case, match-fixing.
- ASADA will get new powers to conduct a "full and unhindered investigation."
On March 3, Abbott said the media conference was "overdramatic" and that the day has blackened the reputation of Australian sport.
He was asked if a speedy resolution should be made for those athletes whose reputation remained questionable after the anti-doping investigations into the NRL and AFL.
The prime minister did not give a clear response to the question. Instead, he attacked Labor for putting Australian sports in a bad light.
"I think it is unfortunate that the reputation of Australian sport has been blackened as a result of that rather overdramatic announcement here in Canberra about a year ago. Australian sport by and large is clean and fair. I think it is unfortunate that the reputation of Australian sports people generally was impacted," Abbott said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown