‘Blackest Day For Australian Sport’ - Overdramatic Says PM Abbott
By Athena Yenko | March 3, 2014 6:24 PM EST
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has slammed Labor saying it blackened the reputation of the Australian sport during an "overdramatic" media conference.
Back in Feb 7, 2013, Former Australian Sports Anti-Doping Agency (ASADA) Chief Richard Ings declared that "This is not a black day Australian sport, this is the blackest day for Australian sport."
The declaration was made after Kate Lundy and Justice Minister Jason Clare's media conference where they presented report from the Australian Crime Commission (ACC) alledging that athletes were using banned drug and had links to organized crimes.
Highlights Of the ACC Report
- Use of prohibited substances, including peptides, hormones and illicit drugs, is widespread among professional athletes.
- ACC said no code is immune from the scandal.
- Players are being administered with drugs not yet approved for human use.
- Doping is being run by sports scientists, coaches, support staff, doctors and pharmacists.
- Organized crime is involved in distributing drugs and, in one possible case, match-fixing.
- ASADA will get new powers to conduct a "full and unhindered investigation."
On March 3, Abbott said the media conference was "overdramatic" and that the day has blackened the reputation of Australian sport.
He was asked if a speedy resolution should be made for those athletes whose reputation remained questionable after the anti-doping investigations into the NRL and AFL.
The prime minister did not give a clear response to the question. Instead, he attacked Labor for putting Australian sports in a bad light.
"I think it is unfortunate that the reputation of Australian sport has been blackened as a result of that rather overdramatic announcement here in Canberra about a year ago. Australian sport by and large is clean and fair. I think it is unfortunate that the reputation of Australian sports people generally was impacted," Abbott said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell