Oscars 2014: Cate Blanchett Wins Best Actress
By Jenille Cristy Maido | March 3, 2014 5:56 PM EST
Following her three-time win as Best Actress in a Motion Picture in the Golden Globe Award, Cate Blanchett is now awarded Best Actress in a Leading Role by the 86th Academy Awards for her role in Woody Allen's film, "Blue Jasmine."
Cate Blanchett, best actress nominee for her role in "Blue Jasmine," wears a nude Armani gown with metallic embellishments as she arrives at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California March 2.
The Australian actress is definitely in her golden year sweeping awards in different award giving bodies including Screen Actors Guild and BAFTA this year. She beat other best actress nominees, Amy Adams, Meryl Streep, Sandra Bullock, and Judi Dench to bring home the gold trophy.
"Blue Jasmine" is written and directed by award-winning director Woody Allen. It is the story of Jeanette "Jasmine" Francis (played by Blanchett) who is a Manhattan socialite who fell into poverty. The film was released in July 2013 in the U.S. and received acclaim from the movie critics.
Despite the public's expectations of her win, the 44-year-old star looked absolutely shocked when her name was declared winner. Blanchett went up stage stunning in her Armani gown and gave her acceptance speech.
"Sit down you are too old to be standing!" She joked the audience. She thanked Blue Jasmine's director Woody Allen and praised her fellow nominees for their outstanding performances in their respective films.
"As random and subjective as this award is, it means a great deal in a year of, yet again, extraordinary performances by women," said Blanchett, acknowledging the importance of women in the movies. She also mentioned of the talent of her fellow Australians in her speech.
"I am proud that Blue Jasmine stayed in the cinemas for as long as it did." Blanchett added in a Daily Mail UK report.
Cate Blanchett is the first Australian winning two Oscars award. The other one, a best supporting actress for the film "The Aviator" in 2005.
Other notable wins are Best Supporting Actress won by Lupita Nyong'o of 12 Years a Slave, Best Supporting Actor won by Jared Leto of "Dallas Buyers Club", and Best Actor won by Matthew McConaughey also from "Dallas Buyers Club". "12 Years a Slave" bagged the Best Picture Award. The 86th annual Academy Awards is hosted by Ellen DeGeneres at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date