Oscars 2014: Cate Blanchett Wins Best Actress
By Jenille Cristy Maido | March 3, 2014 5:56 PM EST
Following her three-time win as Best Actress in a Motion Picture in the Golden Globe Award, Cate Blanchett is now awarded Best Actress in a Leading Role by the 86th Academy Awards for her role in Woody Allen's film, "Blue Jasmine."
Cate Blanchett, best actress nominee for her role in "Blue Jasmine," wears a nude Armani gown with metallic embellishments as she arrives at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California March 2.
The Australian actress is definitely in her golden year sweeping awards in different award giving bodies including Screen Actors Guild and BAFTA this year. She beat other best actress nominees, Amy Adams, Meryl Streep, Sandra Bullock, and Judi Dench to bring home the gold trophy.
"Blue Jasmine" is written and directed by award-winning director Woody Allen. It is the story of Jeanette "Jasmine" Francis (played by Blanchett) who is a Manhattan socialite who fell into poverty. The film was released in July 2013 in the U.S. and received acclaim from the movie critics.
Despite the public's expectations of her win, the 44-year-old star looked absolutely shocked when her name was declared winner. Blanchett went up stage stunning in her Armani gown and gave her acceptance speech.
"Sit down you are too old to be standing!" She joked the audience. She thanked Blue Jasmine's director Woody Allen and praised her fellow nominees for their outstanding performances in their respective films.
"As random and subjective as this award is, it means a great deal in a year of, yet again, extraordinary performances by women," said Blanchett, acknowledging the importance of women in the movies. She also mentioned of the talent of her fellow Australians in her speech.
"I am proud that Blue Jasmine stayed in the cinemas for as long as it did." Blanchett added in a Daily Mail UK report.
Cate Blanchett is the first Australian winning two Oscars award. The other one, a best supporting actress for the film "The Aviator" in 2005.
Other notable wins are Best Supporting Actress won by Lupita Nyong'o of 12 Years a Slave, Best Supporting Actor won by Jared Leto of "Dallas Buyers Club", and Best Actor won by Matthew McConaughey also from "Dallas Buyers Club". "12 Years a Slave" bagged the Best Picture Award. The 86th annual Academy Awards is hosted by Ellen DeGeneres at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 'Sylvester Stallone Dies In Horrible Car Accident’ Death Hoax Goes Viral
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoiler: Revelation Of Reason Why Penny, Leonard ‘Not’ Getting Married Soon
- Emmy Awards 2014: Where To Watch Live Online, Top Nominations [VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelorette' Update: Andi Dorfman And Josh Murray To Setup Career In Hollywood- Reports
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett to Rediscover Nathan Fillion's Rick Castle; 'Derrick Storm' Coming to ABC [VIDEO]
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features