Oscars 2014: Cate Blanchett Wins Best Actress
By Jenille Cristy Maido | March 3, 2014 5:56 PM EST
Following her three-time win as Best Actress in a Motion Picture in the Golden Globe Award, Cate Blanchett is now awarded Best Actress in a Leading Role by the 86th Academy Awards for her role in Woody Allen's film, "Blue Jasmine."
Cate Blanchett, best actress nominee for her role in "Blue Jasmine," wears a nude Armani gown with metallic embellishments as she arrives at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California March 2.
The Australian actress is definitely in her golden year sweeping awards in different award giving bodies including Screen Actors Guild and BAFTA this year. She beat other best actress nominees, Amy Adams, Meryl Streep, Sandra Bullock, and Judi Dench to bring home the gold trophy.
"Blue Jasmine" is written and directed by award-winning director Woody Allen. It is the story of Jeanette "Jasmine" Francis (played by Blanchett) who is a Manhattan socialite who fell into poverty. The film was released in July 2013 in the U.S. and received acclaim from the movie critics.
Despite the public's expectations of her win, the 44-year-old star looked absolutely shocked when her name was declared winner. Blanchett went up stage stunning in her Armani gown and gave her acceptance speech.
"Sit down you are too old to be standing!" She joked the audience. She thanked Blue Jasmine's director Woody Allen and praised her fellow nominees for their outstanding performances in their respective films.
"As random and subjective as this award is, it means a great deal in a year of, yet again, extraordinary performances by women," said Blanchett, acknowledging the importance of women in the movies. She also mentioned of the talent of her fellow Australians in her speech.
"I am proud that Blue Jasmine stayed in the cinemas for as long as it did." Blanchett added in a Daily Mail UK report.
Cate Blanchett is the first Australian winning two Oscars award. The other one, a best supporting actress for the film "The Aviator" in 2005.
Other notable wins are Best Supporting Actress won by Lupita Nyong'o of 12 Years a Slave, Best Supporting Actor won by Jared Leto of "Dallas Buyers Club", and Best Actor won by Matthew McConaughey also from "Dallas Buyers Club". "12 Years a Slave" bagged the Best Picture Award. The 86th annual Academy Awards is hosted by Ellen DeGeneres at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown