Oscars 2014: Cate Blanchett Wins Best Actress
By Jenille Cristy Maido | March 3, 2014 5:56 PM EST
Following her three-time win as Best Actress in a Motion Picture in the Golden Globe Award, Cate Blanchett is now awarded Best Actress in a Leading Role by the 86th Academy Awards for her role in Woody Allen's film, "Blue Jasmine."
Cate Blanchett, best actress nominee for her role in "Blue Jasmine," wears a nude Armani gown with metallic embellishments as she arrives at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California March 2.
The Australian actress is definitely in her golden year sweeping awards in different award giving bodies including Screen Actors Guild and BAFTA this year. She beat other best actress nominees, Amy Adams, Meryl Streep, Sandra Bullock, and Judi Dench to bring home the gold trophy.
"Blue Jasmine" is written and directed by award-winning director Woody Allen. It is the story of Jeanette "Jasmine" Francis (played by Blanchett) who is a Manhattan socialite who fell into poverty. The film was released in July 2013 in the U.S. and received acclaim from the movie critics.
Despite the public's expectations of her win, the 44-year-old star looked absolutely shocked when her name was declared winner. Blanchett went up stage stunning in her Armani gown and gave her acceptance speech.
"Sit down you are too old to be standing!" She joked the audience. She thanked Blue Jasmine's director Woody Allen and praised her fellow nominees for their outstanding performances in their respective films.
"As random and subjective as this award is, it means a great deal in a year of, yet again, extraordinary performances by women," said Blanchett, acknowledging the importance of women in the movies. She also mentioned of the talent of her fellow Australians in her speech.
"I am proud that Blue Jasmine stayed in the cinemas for as long as it did." Blanchett added in a Daily Mail UK report.
Cate Blanchett is the first Australian winning two Oscars award. The other one, a best supporting actress for the film "The Aviator" in 2005.
Other notable wins are Best Supporting Actress won by Lupita Nyong'o of 12 Years a Slave, Best Supporting Actor won by Jared Leto of "Dallas Buyers Club", and Best Actor won by Matthew McConaughey also from "Dallas Buyers Club". "12 Years a Slave" bagged the Best Picture Award. The 86th annual Academy Awards is hosted by Ellen DeGeneres at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports